Getting New baby! How to reduce stress?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was in your situation and couldn't find a rat around me to be with my new one, then yes, I would resort to pet store rats. Do you have a cage big enough to get the two remaining girls to add to the baby?

Hey everyone,

I have been slowly working on introducing the baby to my other rats with the guidance of two rat rescues who said it would be fine. Everyone has been fine together in the bathtub.

Two out of three of my rats are fine in the cage with her as well. The third was nippy at first, so of course I continued slow introductions and didn't chance it.

Last night, things were going very smoothly, and I was able to put all the rats together in the bottom level of my CN (where the baby has been staying). I watched them very carefully and there were no issues at all.

I thoroughly cleaned the top level of the CN where the older girls have been. I removed and cleaned all hammocks and then put them back in different areas. I added the rats and all went smoothly. Everything has been going fairly well except the rat who was nipping at her is being a bit of a bully. She is not nipping at all but is quick to pin her down.

I have separated the baby from her as I don't want her scaring the baby. Right now I have the baby on the top level of the CN with Ruby. Ruby is very nervous and has been nipping (people..not rats), so she cannot be on the bottom level of the CN as she will lunge and nip at my children if little fingers get near the cage.

However, Bella and Sandy are not happy on the bottom level and are trying to eat through the pan. :-/

I am afraid they will actually accomplish it.

I think I will have to put the baby by herself tonight and put the older girls back up. :-(

Too bad miss Sandy is such a bully...Bella is great with her...but I don't want to separate Bella and Sandy as they are well bonded.

I guess I will leave the baby alone tonight. Tomorrow, I think I will resort to looking for a healthy pet store baby and crossing my fingers that she is really healthy. :-/

Sandy is acting normally, she just needs intros to be slowed down.
Glad you are going to get her a friend as the baby is too young for physical intros to older rats.

How old is the baby? It's normal for the alpha to show the baby manners and set her in her place in the colony. Does the baby get very scared with Sandy around?

The baby is a bit over 7 weeks.

They seemed fine at first- but Sandy really started pinning her down, which was scaring her. Thats why I separated them.

I am worried about bringing an unknown petstore baby into the house. :-(

I would just leave Ruby with her as they are fine together, but I can't leave Ruby on the bottom of the CN.

Ok- welll I got a pet store baby!

She is a cute little black and white hooded- she has this thick, even stripe that goes all the way down her back. Where the white and black fur mix, it creates this cool snowflake look. :) And although she has been understandably nervous, she has also occasionally licked me while I was holding her, which is super sign!! Especially from a petsmart rat!

I checked all the rats in the cage for signs of illness and asked lots of questions to the lady helping me. This group of rats has been here for a week/week and a half. No other rats have entered the store since them. I figured this was good since everyone seemed healthy. They already seemed to have bonded. :)

Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly!

K! Thanks so much!

One question though, When do you think is the optimum age to start introducing the babies to the older females again? The younger one who I had originally will be 8 weeks soon, (I think wednesday- but I need to double check).

Right now, I am totally fine keeping them separated...im just wondering when the best time is to start. lol

Ok! Thanks so much! All is going well between the two baby girls. :) They are always cuddled up together now. :-D

I will wait another two weeks (and a couple of days) and then attempt intros again. :_D

Back