Getting First "Rat" but Problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Hi everyone, I have good news and bad news... I finally am about to get a pet rat!

Yes, you heard me correctly, I said rat. I am rehoming this girl from someone else who has kept her on her own for most of her life. She is also coming with a cage, cleaning supplies and a few of the essentials. Now I'm faced with a problem. I haven't seen the cage yet but I'm worried its not big enough for two and I know she will need a friend for when I'm not around.
Sadly I am having the worst luck finding another cage that is suitable and also wont cost me a fortune, so an urgent call for help on that front!! Plus the owner says she isn't sure as to whether the girl gets on with other rats (which I not sure what to think on that).
So I feel like I'm in a predicament, and I could really use some advice. Should I bite the bullet and get her a friend when there may or may not be a lot of room or wait until I can find another cage and try what I can for her in the meantime and hope it will be enough?
I really want this to work out as I have waited so long for this and I would so love the company of this lovely animal!

You could ask the person to measure the cage, or wait til the rattie comes and see how large the cage is, and take it from there.. You'll need 2 cages when you get another girl. The second doesn't have to be large as hopefully it's just temporary while you do introductions, but sometimes it takes time & patience and they have to be separate til they accept each other. A smaller cage is also handy for going to the vet, or for if you want to introduce another in in future. There is advice here on how to do intros, also here https://www.joinrats.com/

I would wait for this little one to reach you. That way you can assess the situation and get her used to the move. Once you have everything you need and you have gauged her temperament, then I'd look for a friend.

Back