Genetics Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatInTheHat

Hi there! I'm new and wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to post this. I bred a Siamese Standard Coat, Dumbo Buck (Siamese Sire X Supposed "Russian Blue" Dam) to a Himalayan Standard Coat, Standard Ear Doe with limited pedigree information (Supposed "Hairless" Sire X Supposed "Siamese" Dam - who could have very well been a Himalayan, but I only know what I was told). I just got a litter that looks like this.

I am particularly interested in the one on the top who has a dark spot....like would be seen in a Merle, but as far as I know that is not possible because: Merle only shows up on Mink based rats, such as Pearl (and I also read, occasionally, Silver Lilacs). Could it be a birth mark? Also, aside from the fact that most of them are marked, any idea what color they are?

Also, I think I have three hairless.......and while they haven't opened their eyes yet, several look to have black eyes, even some black eyed whites...The lady I bought the female from, told me she thought that the Hairless sire of my Himalayan female may have been BEW, but I didn't think too much of it.

photo 1-1.jpg

photo 2-1.jpg

photo 3-1.jpg

Last edited:
You never know what you will get with "Supposed" markings/coats types. Always safer not to breed when you have unknowns.

I agree. When I first bought her, I was having a really hard time getting a hold of any Siamese or Himilayans. I now have some males with good lines, but she is still only one of two females I have for my Siamese line (the other is a nice Burmese with good breeding) so I went ahead and bred her to my best Siamese male to see what happened. If it was successful, I figured having a little more genetic diversity might be helpful. However, I was pretty shocked to see what I got. I'll post better pictures later.

Okay here are some more pictures, I don't know how much
"better" they are.....You know how babies never sit still lol. I have individual pictures which are better, however, there are 14 babies (7 boys, 7 girls) lol..........

These are the girls:

Daphne X Curry_girls1.jpg

Daphne X Curry_girls2.jpg

We are a rescue site we dont support/recommend breeding by any means. You may want to post on breeder forum to find those answers. If you want to talk about reasons not to continue breeding we can give you 100's but this is what we do.... we save lives not create more.

Back