Gasping Attacks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmom

What can I do to help kala stop gasping? My last resort right now is nebulizing her with Lobelia. She's been doing this off and on since sunday. She's had this problem before so I'm used to the routine. Usually it's when the weather is real humid she will ever breathe hard or gasp. She's been on baytril combo before with no help either. She has problems calming down also so if I try putting her in a tub and nebulize she freaks out and gets all upset so I leave her in the cage.

I try to keep pred on hand for gasping fits, it's given to me when my asthma does nasty things and it seems to help them in these situations, the trick is getting them to take it.

Nebulizing is like adding humidity so I don't know if it would work for her. Do you have an inhaler for asthma in the home? That may help.

I think your right, because the steamy bathroom didn't help either. She is my heart string girl & I feel so helpless, hubby is at work so I have no way to get to the vet.

One thing you could try, if she's gasping hard, tap on her side where her lungs are. Tap, gentle but firm, this may help open or loosen any pus in the lungs. But if it's her heart, this won't help. :(

I'm so sorry! I know it's too late now, but I'm surprised your vet didn't consider writing a prescription for oxygen for your rat.

I really am sorry for your loss. :(

Hugs,

Ratmom said:
I lost my heartstring girl :cry:

I'm so sorry Ratmom. :tearful:

I am kicking myself for not having found this thread in time. :cry:

From what I've read; Inhalers like Primatene Mist or Albuterol (prescription inhaler) are good for respiratory ailments. You put the rat in a paper bag and puff a few puffs of the inhaler into the bag for the rat to inhale.

This might have helped the precious little gal. I wish there were something I could say to help ease things for you Ratmom.

Please know that you are not alone. Everyone here knows how painful this path is. Despite their size; our little ones are fully capable of stealing our hearts and then taking a chunk of our soul with them when their time comes to pass over the Rainbow Bridge.

Our joy will come at a later time. One that we can't yet see. But when our time does come, the path we chose to take will be well worth the grief we faced to take it. :love6:

You are lovely Ratmom. Know that you are being hugged, if even from a distance. :rose:

Thank you so much for everything it means a lot. I always keep Primatene on hand and it wasn't working for her unfortunately, which it usually does. I kept telling her to fight it, but I think I did the wrong thing telling her that, because she fought it for too long. I miss my beautiful girl.

Ratmom said:
Thank you so much for everything it means a lot. I always keep Primatene on hand and it wasn't working for her unfortunately, which it usually does. I kept telling her to fight it, but I think I did the wrong thing telling her that, because she fought it for too long. I miss my beautiful girl.

You did what any of us would have done Sweetie. Fighting for one's life is an instinct which all living creatures possess. It cannot be controlled but, fortunately, the discomfort felt (in situations with respiratory distress) is very short.

Your beautiful girl continues to be beautiful. She was in your care when she passed and that is a comfort within itself. Your little lady wants for nothing now. She has her place on the Rainbow, a cloud all her own, and a suitcase full of the love she shared with you. :heart: :rose: :love6:

Back