Garlic powder and avocado

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avocado is high fat. If you have skinny rats or rats with muscle loss, it would be a good food for them.
I think the garlic is ok, but never tried giving it to the rats.

But some say if you take the avocado-flesh close to the stone / skin, it contains some poisen? want to use it for skinny ones (those sick not eating).
Don't get why onions are no good but garlic-powder is ok, but might try it

Garlic should be good for the blood.

Avocado skin and and just around the stone is, as you say, poisoned, but the avocado itself should be good.

Ok, I just did a quick google search on avocado. Yikes! Apparently, the leaves, pit and skin is toxic. There has also been reported cases of animal health problems after ingesting the fruit itself.
So, I really don't know what to say. I know for me, personally, I will not use this fruit.

Bati,

I am assuming that avocado is ok as long as it is not from the areas around the skin or the pit.

I say that because my rat man Basil managed to help himself to some of my guacamole before I realized it and he is still alive and well. :D!!!

Like Jorats said, avocado is highly fattening! Be sparing when giving it to your babies or you will wind up with little balloons waddling around your living room. ;)

LOL... HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

(sorry... but you have to visualize little balloons with 4 feet... :lol:)

I'm scared of avocado, but I use garlic powder in my rat mix though. I read a while back it has shown to help with lung problems in rats so I sprinkle it in their food and if someone is sick I will put a tiny bit with some cereal or baby food w/nutristat. I make biscuits for them with garlic too which they love.

Back