Fruits & veggies~How much is okay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltowngirl

I have done a lot of research the past few months about having rats as part of our family but this is something I am still a little puzzled about. I am hoping someone/everyone can rest my mind or at least give me your opinions. What do you do for yours? My family(Human and critters) eat a wide variety of both so they are always here and available. (I have the toxic list as a sticky note on my computer) How about canned and frozen are they okay as long as they are unsalted?
surp_noidea.gif

I don't give canned because of the salt/sugar and other stuff but I do give frozen veggies, I thaw it out in warm water. My rats love it.
I do give mine a bit much but because I have a huge colony, it's hard for me to say how much is too much or too little. I let mine eat until they walk away. I remove those that are left behind.

I have two feeding bowls for Rizzo. I put the lab blocks, cheerios,a little dog biscuit,cereal,etc. and the other one is the fruit,veggies,cottage cheese,applesauce,etc.(wet or moist food basically)I wash them both daily and I clean his potty every other day. His poo looks normal every time so I'm assuming he isn't getting to much. He keeps his fleece blankets clean & dry and doesn't even chew on them! I think he appreciates his new big cage and being spoiled. I'm like any other new Mommy I guess...worried about nothing! LOL

A good quality lab block should be 80% of the diet. Lab blocks need to be available at all times.
The other 20% of their diet is daily vegs, a bit of fruit and the occasional treat.
As Jorats said, fresh or frozen/thawed vegs are both fine.

Many people suppliment their baby ratties diet with daily baby cereal until they are 3 months old, and also suppliment elderly ratties diet with daily baby cereal.

It is important to watch the salt and sugar content of what you feed your rats as both are bad for them.

We do canned fruits/veggies but rinse them and/or don't put it with the juice it comes in. Every few days we put different fruits and veggies but not every day so they don't get too much. For example, yesterday we put in a small can of peas and carrots, and put some brocolli florets in with. Its almost all gone, and they won't get any until probably sunday. Its not perfect, but it works

Canned fruit and Veg can contain too many additives and preservatives. You need to check the labels and make sure there is nothing in the water or fruit juice thats in the can. If it has ANY preservatives or fruit, and any added salt or sugar i wouldn't bother.

My mum has a drawer in the freezer of frozen veg that i raid every now and again hehe. I just put them in a bowl with some boiling water and leave them in it until the water is cool or warm

I give my rats fresh grapes and sugar snap peas and baby carrots usually every couple of days. chop it up and put it in a bowl. I find they like it all a lot more frozen actually. But every rat has their preference.
I give it to them fresh from the crisper and then let them eat what they want and then put it in the freezer for later or the next day.

Back