Fruit fly infestation?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashlyn

Yes as groce as it sounds, I just noticed a fruit fly problem near where our rats reside. I’ve never had a problem this huge with fruit flies. It looks like they’re hiding the vent nearest to our boys. It’s pretty bad. Has anyone had this issue? We vacuumed the vent, inside the vent and I’ve place an apple cider vinegar trap in the room.
I’m definitely not going to assume my rats are the problem, I think the fruit flies just found a good place to hide and food next to the vent.

I also have a digging box in the room, is it possible they’re hiding in there? I’m at a lost.

Dont you hate fruit flys? I dont know what to say. Clean their cage of any uneaten human foods and if you have AC put it on at all times, not too cold, but cool enough to keep the flies from multiplying. They multiple like, well, rats, lol. Ive found that the fruit flies like hot, humid temps. Besides that, rats should not be subjected to temps over 90° F anyway.

I also have fly issues. I get the big nasty black houseflies and fruit flies. It's super gross and super annoying. It's mostly during the spring and summer months and should chill out in the fall and winter. I use fly strips to catch them. They very well could be breeding in your digging box so i'd probably change the substrate in the box as well as replace any paper bedding (if using) because the flies LOVE to breed in that. I have to be SUPER on top of cleaning their cage of any remaining food. The flies also eat their poop so you may just have to spot clean their cage in the mornings or after feeding.

At this time of year, it's quite common to have a fruit fly invasion. I'm battling one too. Ugh! I think we need to just trap them and then wait on when they are done with their cycle.

just to update: it was definitely the soil digging box. It wasn't draining so the gnats found their breeding ground. Lots of vacuuming, cleaning, and three fly strips later issue solved!

Back