Frontline dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I need to treat all of my pets (including rats) with frontline. Anyone know the dosage for 2 adult females? I am using the dog frontline which is different than the cat frontline (cat frontline has more of one additive and is toxic to rats).

Frontline is very toxic to rats if injested and it does not work well for fur mites.
Frontline is not recommended for rats.
No dosage info. given for frontline in my rat book because it is dangerous for rats.

Try to get revolution, it works very well and is safe for rats.

Hey now that you mention it I think it was revolution I used.

I'm not entirely sure they have mite and fleas but I'm dosing them as a precaution.

What abut ivermectin? I can get it at the Tractor Supply store.

Do you need an RX for revolution?

*edit* Ok, revolution needs an RX and I don't have any money to get one. I'm going to have to use ivermectin.

Argh, editing this again. I'm reading ivermectin doesn't help with fleas???

ivermectin isn't very effective with mites.

If you know their weights or can weight them, your vet might sell you a tube of revolution.
Therefore no visit charge, just the cost of the revolution.

Edit: Revolution dosage is 4-8 mg/Ib of rat or 4-8 mg/454.5g of rat.

Would it be the revolution for kittens and puppies?

I can try, but this vet is rip-off artist. I hate Banfield vets!

SQ said:
ivermectin isn't very effective with mites.

If you know their weights or can weight them, your vet might sell you a tube of revolution.
Therefore no visit charge, just the cost of the revolution.

Great thanks. :)

I got a super good deal for Frontline on ebay that I can use on the cats and dog, it's just too bad i can't use it on the rats, it would have saved me a tonne of money!

SQ said:
As far as I know, they are the same just different size tubes.
See dosage info above.

Fleas don't really like rats, they much prefer bigger animals. So if there's a dog in the house, that's where you'll find the fleas but it's still a good idea to treat all your pets when trying to get rid of buggies in the home.

Ya, the kitty has ear mites and fleas. I found a flea on Roxi a couple days ago and bathed her with flea shampoo and ordered some Frontline for the cat and dog.

I'm in luck with the Revolution! Roommate has some for her cat and she gave me a bottle. :joy:

Frontline is very toxic to rats if injested and it does not work well for fur mites.
Frontline is not recommended for rats.
No dosage info. given for frontline in my rat book because it is dangerous for rats.

Try to get revolution, it works very well and is safe for rats.
I completely agree about the front line being toxic

I completely agree about the front line being toxic

This is an old post.
For some reason this forum now puts older posts on the bottom of the screen …. these older posts are often helpful to read but imo, I learned through experience that it is always good to check the dates

Back