Freshly neutered rat cleaning his penis a lot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlize

My little fella Lester just got neutered this morning. I'm on incision duty right now and I've noticed that he's spending a lot of time cleaning his penis.

Is that a normal post-op response?

If I try to stop him he squeaks at me like I'm torturing him.

Yes, that’s a penis plug. I’m thinking maybe he knows that it would hurt too much to clean his incision site so instead he’s cleaning an area nearby. If you’re not seeing any discharge and redness and he’s not licking his incision, I think it’s probably normal.

Did they give you Metacam or meloxicam to give him post op? If they didn't it's possible the internal swelling is pushing the penis outside his body (called paraphimosis). When a rat cleans himself his penis comes out but goes back in the body. If it's stick out he will lick and squeak. IF the vet didn't give you pain meds post op pick up infant liquid ibuprofen, get me a weight and I'll give you a dose. Once the swelling goes down the penis should go back inside the body, and he will heal better/faster with his discomfort taken care of.

Yes, the vet did give me metacam post-op. He's about 400 grams and the dosage prescribed was 0.3 ml per 24 hours.

It definitely did eventually go back in but it seemed like it was sticking out longer than he wanted it to.

Thanks so much!

Excellent. Thanks so much. I'll pay attention to it tonight.

He seems to sleep fine during the day. Once he's more awake he starts to "penis shriek" more often.

It doesn't seem like it's occurring any longer. No concerns yesterday night or this morning.

I do need to followup with the vet regarding the remaining stitch.

Back