Freezing bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusion200

Hemp bedding from a farm, to be exact, comes in a plastic package, 20 kg. Other than mites, can bales contain rat bite fever, salmonella and such? Or just parasites? Because I have no place in my freezer right now, and doesn't it get wet if i freeze it? Exactly what do I do when I freeze it? Freezer, refrigirator?

You really want to freeze it to kill any critters that may be in the bedding. I freeze my bedding for at least 48 hours before I use it. If you don't have room in your freezer, just freeze small batches. Like take out enough for at least one change and pop that in the freezer. I didn't freeze my bedding for over a year and had no problems. I always buy the same brand. Then all of a sudden my whole group got mites and had to be treated with Revolution. Now I freeze my bedding all the time.

Just ectoparasites nothing else. You can even freeze tiny amounts, then pour it into a bigger bag which is sealed, keep doing this until you have enough for your cage change :)

Back