free feeding my rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellonwheelz3

Ok, we're going on vacation for 4 days and unfortunately can't take my two boys. Is it ok to free feed them or will they eat it all at once like my dogs do lol jk. any input would help.

Four days is stretching what I'd feel comfortable leaving the rats for. I've had to leave them on their own for weekends before when I made trips, but for anything over 3 days I've always tried to arrange a rat-sitter. For one, four days of no attention can make them get awfully bored and potentially destructive.

But if you have to do it, here's a few tips:
1.) Be SURE that your climate control in your house (A/C or heater, whatever season it is) works immaculately.
2.) Have a backup water bottle (or two) just in case one malfunctions
3.) Feed them more than you normally would, and in multiple locations in the cage, just in case something happens to one stash (like the aforementioned water bottle malfunction) they can eat from a different one.
4.) Make up a few challenging rat toys for them to play with while you're gone as they will get bored. I make a few "pinatas" by stuffing toilet paper rolls with treats and tissue or newspaper, wrapping it in newspaper, and hanging it from the cage. It'll at least amuse them for a few hours, if nothing else.

But I really do suggest getting a sitter if you can at all. Sometimes things happen (like your power going out while you're gone!) that are beyond your control and it's nice to have somebody check in, if only for a couple minutes a night to be sure everybody's alive and has food.

Free feeding is the standard feeding method for rats anyway, so you should be ok, though, as said, previously, 4 days is stretching it. I'd get somebody to pop in and check on them at least.

It is essential that you have someone drop by at least once a day to make sure it isn't too hot, to refill water bottles and make sure they are working. Otherwise they could die. Many rats do die every summer when they run out of water or their water bottles clog up.

You should also have someone caring for them that will recognise illness or injury and get them medical help if necessary.

SQ said:
It is essential that you have someone drop by at least once a day to make sure it isn't too hot, to refill water bottles and make sure they are working. Otherwise they could die. Many rats do die every summer when they run out of water or their water bottles clog up.

You should also have someone caring for them that will recognise illness or injury and get them medical help if necessary.

I really really really want to stress what SQ is saying. Overnight IMO is fine. 4 days is not a good idea. Please please please see if you can find someone to even just pop over and take a look at them.

When we went away for a week my brother in law looked after ours, he wasn't comfortable taking them out but he was able to say hi and feed/water and make sure everyone was ok.

Back