Four Neuters This Week

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet all those boys are glad to be free of their gonads. Well, because they'll be hanging with the ladies soon enough. :)

Hi:

I have never had a rat but plan on acquiring two for my daughters this winter. I am pretty clueless on rats so please excuse my seemingly ignorant questions.

>>I bet all those boys are glad to be free of their gonads.<<
Do they actually remove the gonads?? Was talking to a lady at the pet store yesterday and she said when her cat was recently neutred he still looked "intact", he was given more of a vasectomy-type procedure. My male dog was fixed almost 15 years ago and he his jewels taken right out. I wasn't sure if this "pet vasectomy" was a new thing or just something her vet does with large animals.
Think a real neuter would be safer. I have a friend who had three kids when her husband had a vasectomy. They have 4 kids now. The big "V" does not always work in people, maybe cats/rats would be the same. LOL!

Lisa

lisa1966 said:
Hi:

I have never had a rat but plan on acquiring two for my daughters this winter. I am pretty clueless on rats so please excuse my seemingly ignorant questions.

>>I bet all those boys are glad to be free of their gonads.<<
Do they actually remove the gonads?? Was talking to a lady at the pet store yesterday and she said when her cat was recently neutred he still looked "intact", he was given more of a vasectomy-type procedure. My male dog was fixed almost 15 years ago and he his jewels taken right out. I wasn't sure if this "pet vasectomy" was a new thing or just something her vet does with large animals.
Think a real neuter would be safer. I have a friend who had three kids when her husband had a vasectomy. They have 4 kids now. The big "V" does not always work in people, maybe cats/rats would be the same. LOL!

Lisa

It's still standard practice for pet animals to have the testicles removed completely, but I have heard of some people opting for a vasectomy type procedure on dogs...... I've never heard of a vet preferring that method over a true neuter, though.

Vasectomies are only if you don't want your cats/dogs to have kids (whatever) but it doesn't eliminate the bad behaviour associated with hormones.
I believe it is done in some male dogs to maintain heirarchy within a given dog pack as removal of the hormones in dogs can have drastic effects. I see no reason for it in cats though...

Back