Found Chinese Owl Pigeon, London, ON, CAN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-pets-birds-fo ... Z127237606

Found Chinese Owl Pigeon
Price: Free Ad ID: 127237606
Visits: 27
Address: London, ON, N6P 1A5 View map
Date Listed: 11-May-09

needs a home been here for 5 days catch him and take him home. %19 652 8464

:sad3:

I emailed and got this person to catch the bird. All it needs now is for someone to pick it up and take it somewhere. Anyone know a reputable pigeon/ bird rescue? It can stay here until a rescue can be found, but I cannot get to London until Friday, and I don't think this person will care for it until then.

The Wyoming, Teeterville, and Heidelberg are PROBABLY the closest ones... I got this off of http://www.pigeonfanciers.ca/ontario.html and did a search for all Chinese Owl Pigeons that people bred.

Maybe this'll help?

Koops Family
17 Edith Ave.
Hamilton, Ont.
L8T 4H3
(905) 383-2108
Email: [email protected]
Breeds kept: Norwich Croppers - Racing Homers - Fantails - Chinese Owls - Baldhead Show Rollers - West of England Tumblers - Helmets

John Hoekstra
Box 97
Wyoming, Ont.
N0N 1T0
(519) 845-0162

Breeds kept: Chinese Owls - Italiam Owls - Show Rollers - Helmets - Figuritas - Bokhara Trumpeters - English Trumpeters - Show Homers

Koops Family
17 Edith Ave.
Hamilton, Ont.
L8T 4H3
(905) 383-2108
Breeds kept: Norwich Croppers - Racing Homers - Fantails - Chinese Owls - Baldhead Show Rollers - West of England Tumblers - Helmets

Frank Seip
72 Hilltop Cres., Box 69
Heidelberg, Ont.
N0B 1Y0
(519) 699-4338
Breeds kept: Chinese Owls (National Chinese Owl Master Breeder).

Rod Waldick
Box 44
Teeterville, Ont.
N0E 1S0
(519) 443 - 5243

Breeds kept: West of England Tumblers - Canadian Show Tipplers - - Chinese Owls - Silician Swallows, Fairy's in Blue White Bars and Blue Spangled

Bronwyn on the forum hasn't been on much lately but she was put in contact with someone who rescues wild birds. Maybe you can email or PM her?

Thanks for the links. I've sent some emails in hopes of locating either the owner or someone who can help it. Now I'm only worried for it's immediate future as the person who caught it likely has it in a box and has no idea of how to look after it. I'm hoping they'll look after it until something can be arranged. I'll research and email them through it if necessary.

Oh wow...

How did they find the owner - was it one of the people you contacted? I think most of these pigeons have bands on their legs so they can be identified.

Now I'm dying to find out how it got found!!

It had a band on it's leg. I contacted the CPFA and they were very helpful. I passed on information to the person that found it and they were able to find the owners.

M0onkist said:
Wow - that's really cool!

I'm really glad I found that website then - I'm sure the owner must be very relieved!

Yes, thanks again for your help, as it allowed me to quickly respond to the situation, rather than spend forever trying to search for someone who could help by myself.

It was entirely my pleasure - an interesting challenge, actually, as first I had to find out what a Chinese Owl pigeon really was!

Man, I had NO idea just how many varieties of pigeons there really are - what I can't figure out is how the ones with huuuuge feathers on their feet can fly at all - wouldn't it mess up the aerodynamics?

That's what we're all here for, really - the combined brainpower of many people can solve just about anything!

I'm playing catch-up here so forgive the delay! I wanted to write this just in case anyone else finds wild birds in the future.

Old regulars of the forum will remember how I rescued a starling nestling and raised it with the help and support of rehabilitators from a distance (the one in New Brunswick was the most helpful). Although I was successful and he had a happy ending it's critical to understand that it's very difficult to find help. The number of baby birds in need far outweighs the number of people qualified to help or care (qualified doesn't always mean they care). I rescued a sparrow nestling this summer from a cat and that was much more difficult than raising the starling. Though I had background knowledge and wasn't flailing with panic this time, every rehabilitation centre was full. If they were courteous enough to return my voicemails I'd receive lectures on how it's wrong to try and raise a bird as it's supposedly illlegal. Actually most people will tell you to have it euthanized. The president of the OSPCA (wildlife division) went out of her way to lecture me. When I copy/pasted the fact that it is NOT illegal to raise a house sparrow she sent a few meager words of thanks for caring about the bird but refused to answer my original question, "Will you help this bird?/refer me elsewhere?".

Long story short I was on my own and boy did we have our struggles learning from each other. I was raising to release and no one can take that job lightly as the number of factors you need to consider is a little mind boggling for a first-timer. There was a happy ending though and she joined a flock not far from where I rescued her after a few weeks of care (during which I earned some grey hairs I'm sure!).

I suppose what I'm trying to say is keep track of those people who know what they're doing in the bird world, licensed or not. Though spring is a long way off it's very common to find a baby that fell out of the nest with no hope of returning it, and the support system for those wanting to help is weak at best. Moon mentioned me and I'm happy she did as I'm more than willing to share the knowledge I picked up or take in a nestling while trying to find a rehabber with a vacancy.

One key thing I'd like to emphasize though is if you do find one, try and put it back in the nest. They often fall out by accident and can be saved in a much easier fashion that way! Also, feathered nestlings are not necessarily orphans but may be receiving care from their parents a few days before they can fly.

/random bird care post

When I was a kid, we found a baby robin that had fallen out of its nest - it was utterly impossible to find good information, though we did finally contact a vet that told us about some kind of mush to feed them. It was sad that it passed away after a time, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying (its eyes hadn't even opened). There just wasn't much, if any, information out there on how to help.

It was cool rereading this thread though, I had a lot of fun finding out about pigeons!

I'm so happy you tried though. The younger they are the more demanding and fragile they are and most people can't feed every twenty minutes due to commitments like their jobs. The starling I had was one bald little dude and I can't say I slept much the first week. One thing I learned quickly was you sleep when the baby does, haha. Hopefully as time goes on more information will creep its way onto the web as each species has its own needs.

Back