For Sir Rupert Giles

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

((My own laptop is so broken it won't even boot, so I will add pictures later. He took the best portrait shots, his beautiful face needs to be here))

Sometimes the tools needed to help our companions are just out of our reach. Sometimes we keep trying and nothing seems to pull them out of their suffering. Sometimes we ask for help, and it was too late. Sometimes there was nothing to be done in the first place. This was one of those many times.

Sir Rupert Giles, named after the beloved Buffy character for perfectly reflecting the librarian's proper but warm hearted attitude, passed away September 4th, 2014. By my estimation, he was born around March 27th, 2013. He was just 17 months old.

When Rupert came home with me, it was honestly only because Alduin needed a home. I still had Maggie with me and didn't want to risk pregnancy even with her old age, so Alduin needed a cage mate. I will be perfectly candid: I picked at random. I will never regret the rat I ended up with <3 .

Rupert was a reserved little man from the get-go. As Alduin melted to me, Rupert tolerated pats and let me know when he was done by putting a hand on my fingers or simply turning away. One time I caught him very sleepy in a hammock and took the opportunity to give him a shoulder and ear rub. It was the only time I saw him brux.

Rupert preferred observing other rats. Klaus was a big hassle for him, but he taught the new addition very quickly that playtime would never be with him. As Klaus and Alduin bonded over their shared playful natures, Rupert would look on from the top shelf or litter pan (his favourite sleeping area). During out time, Rupert would pick a spot - like the hut, or the tunnel under the green mountain - and stay there and watch. He didn't mind if everyone crawled over him, so long as they didn't try to wrestle him. Rupert always won anyway.

When Bear and Bruce (formerly known as Jerry) came, Rupert accepted them kindly even though they gave him lice. Bruce, by nature, was very aggressive and the bugs only enhanced that. Rupert never let him get too far with hassling the other boys, and never let Bruce pin him. I rarely saw Rupert bite - he only pinned, and stayed there long enough to make sure the other understood who was in charge.

In essence, Rupert was patriarchal. He was the silent guardian of the mischief, a teacher and always a good friend - he was happiest when everyone was piled in the litter pan around him, sleeping.

Despite a total of four vet visits with me, Rupert's lungs developed an unknown condition and nothing I could do was helping. Medications prescribed by two vets at separate times would help the symptoms, but he was always breathing heavily. During a stressful period I almost gave up completely, then realized I hadn't done the most obvious thing: ask for help. When I did, it may have been too late.

Rupert spent the last weeks of his life in Shelagh's care. There he had many encounters with different rats and was given the best help available. Despite Shelagh's amazing work, Rupert passed away. Whether it was pulmonary abscesses, a tumor or another condition, no one will ever know for sure.

He goes on to the Bridge to meet the rat brothers and sisters he shares my heart and Shelagh's heart with. I have never met a more innately mature, guardian-like rat and I miss him very much. He was the best listener. He was my Rupert.

Goodbye, my little love. I'll see you again.

RIP, Rupert. It is always a special experience to watch a skillful alpha-rat in action.

I'm so sorry that you lost him to one of those awful respiratory illnesses. You are right that sometimes there is nothing that can be done to help, but you gave him a good life.

He sounds like he was a wonderful man-rat, and was a good and fair overseer for the colony. I'm sorry you couldn't help him and had to say goodbye too soon. I think he will always be in your heart though, to be a whisper of advice when one is needed.

That was a lovely memorial, I'm sorry I missed it when first posted. Your words paint such a vivid image of Rupert's personality. I giggled at "Rupert accepted them kindly even though they gave him lice." It sounds like he was a special boy, and will be dearly missed. I am sorry for your loss. Rest well Rupert.

Back