food questions...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworks

How much should I feed my rats each day? (If I'm using block food)

What other foods can I feed my rats besides rat foods?

How much can I feed my rats these other foods?

My rats are almost 5 weeks old.. if that helps anything. =P

I always free-feed. I have never had a lady rat with a weight problem, the boys are another matter.

There are a couple of other threads with some diet ideas.

I give mine rice mixed with vegetables, occasional eggs, and sometimes some of my dinner.

At 5 weeks, I would just give blocks until they are quite settled. I would feed it unlimited.
When they are happy with you, I would slowly introduce veggies. But only once a week to start, you don't want wet smelly poo. You can offer peas, broccoli, carrots, corn, romaine lettuces...
A good rule of thumb when feeding: low fat, low protein, no sugar, no salt.
Remember that rats have very small stomachs so they don't need very much.

Oh okay, so no veggies for a little while. Got it. :)

I gave them 2 baby carrots and 2 small blueberries before I read your responses... is that ok? It was barely any. I hope they're fine... but I won't feed them any more veggies for a while. Thanks. :D

I would give the wee little sweeties some baby cereal as a healthy treat.

Baby food for babies I say!

I like Milupa, my rats love it even when they're all grow'd up. :mrgreen:

Any supermarkets carry them. My ratties prefer the one Mixed Cereals with Fruit.

cereal.jpg

Actually if they're eating their regular food they don't need baby cereal, maybe as a treat once in a while. I only use it to give meds in or when I do intros.

Back