Food Hoarders

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catibrie

Ok, so the youngins (they are now about 7ish months old) commence to taking every last piece of food - that includes their veggies - and hides them in random places. Normally I would not mind that, but Bear is not well, Yuki is getting real old, and Jack has a heart problem so huffing it off to find their food is not so easy for them. Combined with that the little ones put the food in hammocks that the oldies and Jack don't ever go into. I am worried they are not getting enough food. Is there anything I can do to make that stop? Food has NEVER been in short supply for them, so whats with the frantic hiding of it? And when James (hubby) takes it out of the hammocks and puts it back they go nuts running around, gathering it up again and often hiding it in a different place arg!!!
Other than that everyone lives so well together, I don't want to separate them into groups...

I've always considered the hoarding a healthy part of a rat's life. They are engaging in a normal instinctual routine. Trust me, all the other rats know where the stashes are, in fact they might in some small way be part in the choosing where the stash goes. I've seen this in my colonies.
I do like to raid their warehouses and see them go back into action. Gives them a purpose.

jorats said:
I've always considered the hoarding a healthy part of a rat's life. They are engaging in a normal instinctual routine. Trust me, all the other rats know where the stashes are, in fact they might in some small way be part in the choosing where the stash goes. I've seen this in my colonies.
I do like to raid their warehouses and see them go back into action. Gives them a purpose.

I too raid their stashes, they semm to look at you like, WHY did you just do that????
:lol2:

2 of my 4 girls always did that, but one has stopped recently. the most annoying part of the hoarding is when they stash it in a corner and it falls out of the cage, and then they have no food left! :wallbang:

Since some of your rats are older or ill, you might want to start supplimenting with mush made of lab blocks and or baby cereal. It is much harder to stash.

You might also want to separate them at night and alow the older/ill ratties access to soft food overnight.

Back