food for ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsrule76

was wondering if nutro natural chioce dog food is a good rat food? it is what i have been looking at to leave down for my ratties all the time. or should i stick with rat blocks? any info will be great.

Dog food really isn't a good option for rats. If you have access to lab blocks there should never be any reason to give them dog food (unless you want to give it as a very very rare treat, hehe)

ok great. ill go out this weekend and get the lab blocks. pretty sure petco carries them. can't wait to get my babies. 4 more days!!!

I agree with Moon. Not only is dog food not formulated for rats therefore, not all the nutrients needed for rats but it's also not energy dense enough for rats.

if you can give some names of lab blocks that would be good i can see about getting them. i guess i need to do some reading up on what is best for ratties diet before i go to the store... :oops:

The 2 best brands are Harlan Teklad and Oxbow Regal Rat. A lot of rats dont the oxbow and it is more expensive but better ingredients. HT cant be found in stores. If you cant find any of those, than Hamster Extrusion is also a very good option. I know its for hamsters but the ingridents are also very good for rats.

Back