FN pictures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I mean! and I just realized I wrote left hand side. :doh: I meant my other left.

dierentuin002mod.jpg

jorats said:
This is what I mean! and I just realized I wrote left hand side. :doh: I meant my other left.

*removed the picture*

Ok, now I understand :giggle: I already thought you meant that one, but you said "left" so I thought it couldn't be that one.. :p

I bought it at ratevent in Dongen, Holland.
A girl from another forum (www.tammeratten.nl) made it. She also has her own webshop; http://www.hangmatjesenco.nl
but it's all in Dutch.. :S

Really?! Amazing! :D How much do they cost? And do you think it's possible for me to buy one from holland over internet and then have it shipped to portugal?

I have been wanting to get some metal pans for my FN for a while now and have been putting it off as I was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to do. Well my girls decided to force my hand and make me make a decision very quickly when they decided that chewing huge holes in the pans was great fun! Thank god no escapees while I sorted out the mess. So my hubby does sheet metal work for a living so I begged and pleaded with im to make them for me. Actually it wasn't that hard. He is more than happy to oblige my every comand LOL! Well Ryan made them for me on Friday and so yesterday I worked on the cages and got them all set up.

But first I decided that since it was a nice day and since these were nice new pans I wanted the cages to be spotless. It had been about 6 months since I had taken the FNs outside and power washed them. Gunk was starting to build up in the little cracks and crevices that you just can't get to no matter how hard you try. So both cages went outside and got drenched in vinegar and power washed. They are nice and clean!!!

So here are pics and a vid of the cages all set up with the pans installed. You will notice the cages are sparsly decorated. I am starting to go with the minimalist approach with cage decorating these days. I find that when I fill the cage the rats don't even touch half of the stuff I put in it so screw it. I am not going to waste my time on it any more. Just put in what I know they will like and use. Less to clean and less to hang. Call me a mean rat mommy if you want to! LOL

First the girls cage:

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

DSCN2059.jpg

DSCN2060.jpg

Video of girls cage:

Boys cage (sorry no vid. Was getting entirely too exhausted at this point and had to call it a night once I got them settled in)

DSCN2065.jpg

DSCN2064.jpg

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

Staci

That looks great. Are those tupperware dishes? You're giving me ideas here. I got metal trays made for my Martin's. I have chewers too. lol

I'd love to hear how the metal pans work out. They look great, and I love the high sides. Do the rats have trouble getting to and from the ramp to the lower level? And mamarat, how did you make your metal pans?

ETA: There is probably a small business, making metal FN pans, waiting to happen. So far (touch wood) mine have not chewed the plastic pans. But I've heard that, if they ever start chewing, the pans are doomed.

I took apart my FN last night and washed the sections.
As you said, crud builds up in lots of small places ...

Just got a third section for my FN :D

BTW, for people that want to join 2 FNs into one long cage, the FN stand comes with 4 side bars. If you don't use the stand, or are able to purchase replacement side bars, you can use the side bars instead of the FN side pannels. This will create two open cage sides which can be cabled tied together to make one large cage. .... No need to damage the side panels ... :D

.... Then you could get one long metal pan made ...

Hmmmm ..... I definately need to get another FN ... or an RN.

Hurry up RNs ....

OMG, SQ! I'm been trying to wrack my brains on how to get the 2 FNs together without damaging. I never thought of using the side bars from the stand!
Oh god, I see a big project in the works for me. I'm going to side by side two triple!!!!!!! This will be in a few months though, must wait for babies to be bigger. lol

That's great news, SQ! I don't want to damage my FNs. I could swap the side bars with the bottom bars so I can retain the base and wheels. mamarat, the sheet metal shop did a great job for $35. So good to know there's a solution when the inevitable happens!

mamarat said:
That looks great. Are those tupperware dishes? You're giving me ideas here. I got metal trays made for my Martin's. I have chewers too. lol

Hmm not sure what you are seeing that is tupperware. Unless you mean the plastic container with the blue lid on the shelf of the girls cage. If so that is actually just a shoebox tote found in the tote section of Walmart. I then cut a square whole in the top of the lid. Mine adore theirs and love to stash their blocks in it and snuggle up and snooze. Especially in the winter time or when I turn the AC on.

Godmother said:
I'd love to hear how the metal pans work out. They look great, and I love the high sides. Do the rats have trouble getting to and from the ramp to the lower level? And mamarat, how did you make your metal pans?

ETA: There is probably a small business, making metal FN pans, waiting to happen. So far (touch wood) mine have not chewed the plastic pans. But I've heard that, if they ever start chewing, the pans are doomed.

Well it has been a day and so far so good. The girls have not had any issues hopping over the pan lip and down the ramp. I am not sure if my boys will have a problem though since I currently have the cage split into two. I have another flat sheet of metal under the metal pan in the boys cage to block off the ramp otherwise I get bitten toes and tails.

But that is good that you asked that question cuz now I am worried about Marguerite. She has hind end degeneration. I will have to keep a close eye on her.

As for the small business in the FN pans. Trust me I have actually been considering it and discussing it with hubby. I guess I can go ahead and ask the question here. What would you all be willing to pay for FN pans? What about shipping? See we just are not sure if it will pay to make them or not. And shipping them without them getting damaged might be a real problem. Plus all we can do is galvanized with rivited edges. So I am just not sure if it would be worth it.

Staci

That container looks great. I imagine I could do the same with any plastic container. I watched your girls "dive" in on the video. Too cute.

black sunday said:
Siwain said:
Those cages are all sooo beautifull! I really want a FN! :sad3: I just can't afford it right now... are there FN's for sale in Europe?

They are for sale in Holland :thumbup:

the one with two levels costs 300 euro.. I think they would only send them to Belgium..No family up there? ;)

Back