Flower *Tumor Removal* UPDATE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Flower went in this morning the have her under arm tumor removed. So good thoughts. I took a heating pad with me this time, last time by the time I got her home she felt really cold so I had to wrap her up real tight in a blanket to get her warmer. Plus it is winter here so she probably really needs to extra warmth.

Wouldn't being cold affect her recovery time from the anesthesia?

Just called the vet. Flower is out of surgery and starting to come to and the surgery went well. "WHEW"

I am always on pins and needles until I call the vets and they say everything went well.

Hopefully she leaves her stitches alone this time, doubt it. She is my super chewer.

Fingers crossed I do not have to deal with another tumor for a long time.

Yay! So glad to hear the surgery went well.

As for the heating pad, I don't know what kind you are talking about... but make sure you have a pretty think layer of towels on top of the pad in between the pad and the rat. And have a spot where Flower can move off of the pad, or don't leave it on for very long. Even the ones that say they only go up to body temperature, etc. can actually cause burns if there isn't enough padding or the animal isn't moving off of it.

Another trick for providing a source of heat is putting uncooked rice in an old sock, and heating it in the microwave for a minute.

There is a fleece blanket folded over four times in her carrier and I told the vet to only put the back half of the carrier on the pad with a towel between the carrier and the heat pad. That way flower can get to the front of the cage away from the heat.

Its not in her cage with her.

Melissa's ZOO said:
There is a fleece blanket folded over four times in her carrier and I told the vet to only put the back half of the carrier on the pad with a towel between the carrier and the heat pad. That way flower can get to the front of the cage away from the heat.

:thumbup: You are way ahead of me! :)

Back