Fleece Liners!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

So, I've never had a CN and I am going to be using fleece liners for mine. I plan on making them myself, maybe just buying a couple sets to start out. But, they look relatively easy to make.

Any of you make them yourself? Or buy them? Any good places to buy them from so I'm prepared by Christmas? Or are they super easy to make, cause buying fleece is easy! Just wanted to know what you all do to get/make yours and how you guys make them if you do. I have a sowing machine if needed, though it's been a while since I've used it, and a grandmother who's adept at sowing. X3

Thanks guys! You all have been so helpful every step of the way. :3

They're easy enough to make. I just cut out fleece to size of the pans and usually do a double layer. You can sew around the edges but I find that to be a waste of time... Then some of us clip them down or I just pin down the corners with brick and tile. They mess it up in a week anyways....

That's what I thought most of you did. Then I looked it up and people are doing 3 layer linings with towels and cotton! But like you said, you're just going to replace it anyways. Plus, if they're letterbox trained it's even less of a hassel.

I'll have to get some fleece and clips! I heard the medium sized ones work fine? The regular clips you get from staples?

I've always just made liners of single layer fleece - it wicks the moisture away from the rats and washes and dries easily. =) I hope to post a tutorial for making my liners in the next few months, so that will be available too, for sewers. =)

Thanks guys, this is pretty much just what I needed to hear! Super simple and easy to make. I'll be buying fleece in the next couple of weeks before I get my cage! I can't wait to decorate it and I'm sure the ratties will love the cozy fleece all over their home!

I'd love to see your tutorial! Like I said, I have a sewing machine(that I haven't used in years), that I could use to make stuff for my rats. Simple stuff, but rat's don't need complicated things to be happy. That's what's so great about them. I throw boxes in there and they're happy. So cute. Today, Simon even stole his vet receipt which was on a regular printer paper and dragged it into his cage. They're fricken' adorable. :3

No need for fancy liners, that's a relief!

I am not entirely sure where you live, but if you have a giant tiger (A Canadian chain department store) by you they usually have fleece blankets on sale for $3. They are a nice size and there is some variety so you can find some blankets that are thicker then others. If you go to dollarama to get fleece blankets, it tends to be on the thin side and is the same price so I have been favouring giant tiger lately. There were bunch of really awesome ones at my local giant tiger last time I was there.

You could get fleece from a fabric store, but unless you catch a sale it tends to be very expensive.

I'm in the U.S. but I heard Walmart has them for 3 dollars also do I'm definitely going to check. :)

I also just night some fleece online from Joann's, they had it for 3 dollars for 2 yards. Pretty good, just to start off. :D

Joann fabrics has fleece for 2.99 and up for black Friday - very cheap this weekend I will not say how much I have spent to add to my fabric addiction

I just recently bought 8yrds of fabric from walmart for around 20 bucks :) The lady who cut our fabric asked us what we were making and the look on her face when I said hammocks and liners for my rats hahaha priceless! We stood there for 20 minutes while she asked us all kinds of questions about them. I am probably gonna go back today and get 8 more yards hehe.

If I can actually make things for my rats, I'll be going to Joann's frequently. I haven't sewn in forever though!! I'm having my grandma(haha, I'm a cheater) sew me some for Christmas. She's never sewn anything like hammocks before so it'll be fun and new for her too. :3

I think the liners will be easy enough though as long as I measure it properly.

Well I have tons of fleece to use! I just bought 4 yards to make into liners and hammocks and I had 4 half a yards of some to make more hammocks. I busted out my sewing machine today, but I can't remember how to use it. X3

I saw people doing the same thing your do with your liners, putting them underneath the shelves. I'll have to see which way is easier for me and which one I like more.

I don't have a lot of stuff to put in my cage right now. D: I feel like it's going to be bare when I set it up but I plan on filling it as quickly as possible so my ratties have lots to play with.

Honestly, we took no time with our liners :) 3 yrds of fleece gets a CN set of fleece, 3 hammocks, 1 tunnel, 2 sacks and strips for nesting :)

I do not use clips, I take out the shelves and fold the fleece over the sides and put the shelves back in. I have not had any problems with the rats digging the corners up. I roughly cut the liners which means no straight lines :) 2 mins of work! Easy!!

As for the hammocks etc. I loved the patterns here:

http://www.finchaviary.com/Rat/Rat ...ammocks and Accessories - Small File Size.pdf

Easy to follow and lots of ideas!

Last edited:
Well I have tons of fleece to use! I just bought 4 yards to make into liners and hammocks and I had 4 half a yards of some to make more hammocks. I busted out my sewing machine today, but I can't remember how to use it. X3

I saw people doing the same thing your do with your liners, putting them underneath the shelves. I'll have to see which way is easier for me and which one I like more.

I don't have a lot of stuff to put in my cage right now. D: I feel like it's going to be bare when I set it up but I plan on filling it as quickly as possible so my ratties have lots to play with.

Good luck with the sewing machine!! I will say my rat's favorites are their boxes and their out time, everything else gets sniffed and left alone (as I am writing this Rizzo is going after my red wine.... sigh...) :)

Luffy loves his hammocks, Simon hasn't learned how to use them yet. But I think he'll figure it out. He's so smart.

Thanks! I'll definitely be posting my finished creations on here! :D

Because my rats destroy it I buy the 1.97 clearance fleece from Walmart. And I have two options: clip it and let them chew a hole to burrow under it or don't clip it and let them get under it

I think my fleece should be safe. They have various fleece hammocks and hideouts in their cage already and have left them unchewed. So we'll see how it goes. So far, they'd rather chew on the toys I provide them with or in Luffy's case, the bars of the cage every once in a while. :)

Back