Fleece covers for CN? Also, cage cleaning frequency

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by Tiffany Gibbon, Sep 6, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Sep 6, 2018 #1

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Hi! My three girls are my first ratties ever so I'm learning as I go! I had a question about fleece liners for the Critter Nation cages. I ordered a set, but then when applying to a breeder I was told they are not good. The girls do have a litter box and we are working on training right now. I was also doing some research on a pee rock. I know the concern is cleanliness and the ammonia build up in the fleece. The set I purchased does have a liner to prevent this and I also wash the babies bedding once a week. Is this sufficient? I'm worried now.

Also, I deep clean their cage every Tuesday and rearrange their set up for some mental stimulation. Is that frequent enough? I'm not sure if I should be doing it twice a week...

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 6, 2018 #2

Petunia

Petunia

Petunia

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't know why the breeder would say that was a problem- many of us use fleece
    Maybe they think ppl will not wash the fleece often enough

it's generally a good idea to change out the fleece at LEAST once a week, depending on the number of rats you have. I have 4 boys and do a liner change twice a week

don't use too much detergent, and add some white vinegar to the wash and/or the rinse, and the fleece will be fine

dont' use a fabric softener

if the fleece starts to smell, there is a method for stripping it, if you search it on this forum you should find a couple of threads about it. I forget what's involved, some dawn dish soap I think and some soaking-
    I've done it a few times and it always worked great

but using vinegar in the laundry and washing the fleece often (esp rinsing well!)
    keeps it clean enough that I dont need to do any stripping of build up

Tiffany Gibbon likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2018 #3

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Oooo, never thought of vinegar! Thank you so much. I have 3 females and they're pretty cleanly. I think I will start doing bi-weekly cleanings though. Just to be safe :)

4. Sep 10, 2018 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Very strange that a breeder would say such a silly thing.