Fleece covers for CN? Also, cage cleaning frequency

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by Tiffany Gibbon, Sep 6, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 6, 2018 #1

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Hi! My three girls are my first ratties ever so I'm learning as I go! I had a question about fleece liners for the Critter Nation cages. I ordered a set, but then when applying to a breeder I was told they are not good. The girls do have a litter box and we are working on training right now. I was also doing some research on a pee rock. I know the concern is cleanliness and the ammonia build up in the fleece. The set I purchased does have a liner to prevent this and I also wash the babies bedding once a week. Is this sufficient? I'm worried now.

Also, I deep clean their cage every Tuesday and rearrange their set up for some mental stimulation. Is that frequent enough? I'm not sure if I should be doing it twice a week...

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 6, 2018 #2

Petunia

Petunia

Petunia

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't know why the breeder would say that was a problem- many of us use fleece
    Maybe they think ppl will not wash the fleece often enough

it's generally a good idea to change out the fleece at LEAST once a week, depending on the number of rats you have. I have 4 boys and do a liner change twice a week

don't use too much detergent, and add some white vinegar to the wash and/or the rinse, and the fleece will be fine

dont' use a fabric softener

if the fleece starts to smell, there is a method for stripping it, if you search it on this forum you should find a couple of threads about it. I forget what's involved, some dawn dish soap I think and some soaking-
    I've done it a few times and it always worked great

but using vinegar in the laundry and washing the fleece often (esp rinsing well!)
    keeps it clean enough that I dont need to do any stripping of build up

Tiffany Gibbon likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2018 #3

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Tiffany Gibbon

Oooo, never thought of vinegar! Thank you so much. I have 3 females and they're pretty cleanly. I think I will start doing bi-weekly cleanings though. Just to be safe :)

4. Sep 10, 2018 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Very strange that a breeder would say such a silly thing.