First timer!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geriols

Hello all! I worked on a short film production in October. The film included a very short scene with a live rat. She was obtained from a local (mom and pop) pet store. The producers had arrranged a home for her after filming and it fell through. Ultimately she became the “production office pet” (my son works there). I kept telling him she should not be left there alone on the weekends. Recently, we had a bitter cold spell (minus 5 with minus 20 wind chills) the heat in their office broke down... so she came to stay at my house for about 4 days! I have a small dog and 3 cats!
Well this week she came back to stay for good! I am in love with “Luna”! Today I ordered a nice critter nation habitat cage. I intend to get her a playmate from the same place she came from!
I am reading everything I can find about pet rats! So glad I found this site!

Welcome to the forum! Rats, as you're aware, make absolutely fantastic, loveable pets. I'm glad you took her in. As SQ mentioned, find her another friend around her age and obviously another female (or a neutered male if you happen to run across that.)
Also, as SQ mentioned, check out the reference thread. If you'd like to watch a YouTube video, the Rat Guru and Shadow the Rat on YouTube are fantastic rat-tubers. I love their content and I think they give great advice. If you're interested in ever training your rat, Shadow the Rat also gives fantastic training guides.

Critter nation cages are the best cages in my opinion. I can't stop recommending them! I used to have a really small, ugly cage when I had just three. So glad I got a new cage. It makes cleaning and interactions so much easier (and less of a likelihood of pinched tails).

Back