fiddle sticks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

I finally got a new toy for my boys that wasn't homemade or from Dollarama :roll: I got them tropical fiddlesticks, the medium size. I wanted to get them one of those octo-toys but I couldn't find one and I didn't want to spend much money on a toy they won't play with. :x I got the medium one for $6.99 I was going to get the larger one but their cage is stuffed full of hammocks, shelves and tubes already :lol: Well, I'm going to put it in now and we'll see how it goes, if they don't like to chew it, then at least I can use it as a shelf :D

Picture?? I've never heard of fiddle sticks. :) And my kiddos LOVE stuff to chew on. Their parrot toys are pretty much chewed to death now....

Lise said:
Picture?? I've never heard of fiddle sticks. :) And my kiddos LOVE stuff to chew on. Their parrot toys are pretty much chewed to death now....

TY003aa.jpg

I have fiddle-sticks over here, and the rats do enjoy sleeping and wrestling under it, as well as chewing. It's been a good investment, I need to buy a new one soon :D

:D My PEW Chimo chewed on it abit and sat on it while Coal my black berk just went over, peed on it and went back to his hammock :tumkiss: silly boys

I'm thinking of soaking it in some fruit juice to make it more appealing to them perhaps some cranberry juice or that crystal stuff, we have grape flavour :D

Do they come attached??? YAY going to Barrie next Wed, I think i am going to make a trip to Petsmart and get some stuff. I really want to get a nylabone. They only have the rubber ones here.

LA said:
Do they come attached??? YAY going to Barrie next Wed, I think i am going to make a trip to Petsmart and get some stuff. I really want to get a nylabone. They only have the rubber ones here.
They do. They are attached by some bendy metal stuff

lilspaz68 said:
I have big craft popsicle sticks. I might just soak them in juice and let the crew have them :D
I used to make popsicle houses but Aslan and Miraz were not interested in them. Maybe I'll try with the new bunch.

LA said:

They come with a warning though, it says on the package: Important: Replace your pet's fiddle sticks if the flexible metal support becomes exposed due to instinctive chewing behaviours
I had to write that down because I'll throw out the package and forget :roll:

Chicky, as soon as the metal is exposed, you'll know to chuck it. My girls had their fiddlesticks for a long time before doing any considerable damage... but it looks downright dangerous when the metal is showing.

That said, I would certainly invest in this one again... perhaps a good gift for the next milestone, Christmas at the latest.

Did you try soaking them yet? That sounded like a good idea and I was wondering if it worked. I have a ton of stuff I've bought that the girls won't touch, so I'm interested to know how yours are taking to the new toys!

I soaked mine in diluted ice tea (very diluted) the wood really expanded and the color started leaching out into the tea so I took it out after about 2 hours and had to let it dry because I didn't want my PEW to turn green :D

I put it in the cage with my boys and my PEW Chimo decided he wanted to just sit on it and Coal peed on it, tried to bury it and neither have touched it since. :roll:

I guess I'll jut keep giving them empty TP rolls since they are the only thing they'll play with :p

Another great wood chew that lasted me a very very long time was the one with a walnut in the middle of wood chew sticks. (I think called a Nut Nibbler?)

My rats chewed on it only a little bit at a time but for months! until one day I came home and it was finally completely dismantled with the walnut out. Success! :)

Unfortunately the walnut seemed to be old and stale b/c they didn't eat teh walnut and they love them usually when I give them. But it was still a great long lasting chew toy.

Back