Ferret Vs. Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferrets are reaaally active creatures and need a LOT of stimulation.

We have loads of ferrets at college, and i have to say if they are cleaned properly the smell isn't so bad (they are in an outside enclosure, with an indoor section). BUT - a girl in my class picked one out of the enclosure and i almost puked at the smell of him and her hands after.

I think i am sensitive to the smell :sick2: Not a lot of smells make me heave but ferrets win every time

If your house is properly 'ferret proofed', then you don't need a leash if you're going to walk around and play with them. One game my ferrets liked to play was to drag a blanket on the floor. They would jump on the blanket and wrestle, hop off, climb underneath, etc. I'd just keep walking around dragging it until they got tired of it.
Ferrets get 'shack wacky', so they need out time EVERY day. Adorable though.....miss my squeezles...

my best friend's roomates have a couple of ferrets and they don't properly take care of them and it makes me so mad :redhot:
first of all, they have their ferret's cage right outside my best friend's room while their rooms are on the other side of the apt, so the only one who has to smell it is him or his guests. and boy does it smell. (once, for about a week, the one roomate put the cage in his room because my friend complained, not even about the smell, but about them keeping him up a few nights because they were being loud. but yeah, that only lasted for a week cause he couldn't stand the smell, so it was right back to outside my friend's room)
they only take the ferrets out when they clean the cage, which is only about once a week.
i would totally take them out to play whenever i go over, but the one roomate is totally weird about it because she had a hamster and the girlfriend of the other roomate held him and the next day he died. so she doesn't let anyone touch her animals now.
i feel so bad for the ferrets though, anytime i see them they are sleeping, probably cause they are so bored. there's like nothing fun in their cage either. there's their litter box, food, water bottle, and one hammock.
grrr.

This was great help to me since i was just thinking about the same thing, that ratties live for such a short time and after they are gone (hopefully never...sigh) i may want get ferrets. But wow, they seem really hard to take care of...

Ratties are always my number one love... I just wish all of them would live with me forever.....

This forum is really helpful and many people jsut tell as it is.. which is what makes this forum so valuable!!!!!

Back