ferret help-just a little update 6/4/11

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol thanks! I knew someone on here would have information, I dont know much about them. I refused to leave them there, even if it was my sister............. I posted this while i was at the drive through at white castle so i could be prepared when i got home

i have 5 ferrets at the moment, PM me if you have any questions and i will do my best to assist

Like those who join the shack for rat help, would you consider joining a ferret forum?? It's been years since I had a ferret, so I'm pretty useless lol

LOL it would Eagle gave me some links last night, but it is hard because when you trust a group of people (the ratshack) trotting into new Territory is scary. :laugh4: I am going to join a few though just to get some answers. I really just need to figure out odor control lol

I did moon! thanks....i posted on that forum finally but no one answered lol so I was going to try to find another one..........or something

i just wrote you back a long winded rambling message hope it helps, dont be afraid to pm me anytime. i dont always see posts on the actual forum about ferrets. lol

good! i cant wait to read it. Had these things 2 days and that forum is yelling at me to take them to the vet....... That is why i dont join forums, jump on a new person, that makes me want to stay

FerretHarmony.com is a well maintained forum/good friends, always growing. Lots of info. I'm abazoo there too :)

Thanks. I will check it out. They are doing good so far theratlady gave me some tips on the litter training. It is going a lot smoother wwith them now. Out time is still insane they are always into stuff. I I have some food coing soon so hopefully they will do ok with it. The girl is a bit of a biter and I need to come up with entertaing things for them to do during out time. It is a totally different world fromm rats lol

One of the things that my ferrets liked was digging. I got a big bucket (horse bucket), and bought some sand, and put it in the bucket. They loved to play in it. Also, I bought one of those see-through dryer hoses, and they loved to run in one end, out the other, and back around. Another fun game is to drag a blanket on the floor. They loved to jump on the blanket and go for a ride.
Cautions: do not use clumping litter as they love to 'snow plow' with their face, and may inhale the litter which could plug up their respiratory system. Also, one of my ferrets needed emergency surgery after he ate a piece of a foam ear plug.
Ferrets are just so incredibly entertaining, but also a lot of work compared to cats or dogs. Anyone who said curiosity killed the cat has never met a ferret!!!
They are adorable - have lots of fun with them!

They are a lot of work, it is unreal :laugh4: I did put a blanket down and they go nuts when you wiggle it around, I will have to try to find a bucket of some sort. When they are out them seem to spend all their time trying to get out of the blocked off area. I used the Yesterday news that I used for the rats, even then the first day the boy was in there digging through it constantly, he seems to have settled down though.

Do you have any experience with one that is a bit nippy? I was holding the girl, and she bit my arm. I set her down after that and I swear i thought she was getting angry at my foot LOL it maybe of been her being hyper.

do you have a general idea how much one should eat during the day? I found out how finicky they are when it comes to food LOL. I gave them some chicken, and they wanted no part of it. It is odd being used to rat to have an animal that wont eat food...

with regards to the biting and ferrets its perfectly normal to have a bit of nipping. how to correct can be quite varied however. can you find someone near you with ferret experience? to watch how they hold them and talk to them and correct behaviours is so much more helpful. dont put her down when she bites because she will learn this is fun when i want let go. scruffing can be done (scruffing is the main way to restrain a ferret) and a "no bite" said in a stern voice. the key is not to be afraid of her and you can pick up the behaviour just before a nip, usually. lol esp when they are getting excited. ferrets seem to like socked feet to bite better then bare so i am very rarely socked when the ferrets are out. they are such individuals that seem to do all the same things is kinda cool. one of my ferrets can get much more aggressive if i scruff him so i had to teach him scruffing wasnt hurtful and it was gonna be done from timem to time. another one doesnt bite or nip anything but would go for my nose or face, he is much better now but i wouldnt trust him with strangers. typically when scruffed they go limp and will yawn/tremble.

and yes a clear hose is a must!! i bought a case of them on ebay a long time ago and down to my last 2. they will play for hours in this

I was so shocked that she bit my arm like she did, It was my first reaction. I don't know anyone near me that would be able to show me. I bet I could find some videos on you tube though LOL

I have been picking her up with scruffing so i can watch her head when she is in hyper mode. she seems to do it when she is trying to escape and we stop her from doing it haha :cop:

I am ok with the play biting, but she did that with attitude. I do jump a bit when I kneel down and I feel the boy start pouncing and attacking my back lol I guess I will get used to him doing that to me.

Funny, I just got a girl ferret about a year old, and I swear its crazy how hyper/untrained she is! I'm glad my first ferrets were older rescues because I can see not wanting to keep the crazy thing if I didn't already love ferrets lol
Tho one of my first girls was a biter.. She would be nice one min and then turn into a beotch!

I had them when I was younger, i mean 16 so 19 years ago. I am not totally knew to them. My attitude towards animal care is different now from then LOL so I am trying to learn what I can and how to avoid the stinky messes. we are getting there with the helps of the forums.

Their new food will get here tomorrow hopefully they will love it! that crap is expensive lol

I am going to try blowing bubbles at them when i bring them out later, but i am going to run to walmart and the dollar store and find some cat toys or something to entertain them with.

Back