Female vs male? Which should i get next?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYSTIC_ONYX

I've had 5 rats in all since I've started getting them. All have been males so far. I have been thinking about wether i should get girls or boys next time i get rats, so i read up on it. I found males are bigger, lazier and more territorial. And females are small, energetic, and are easier to introduce to other females. I am worried about females getting tumors though. I know that females are prone to tumors, and some people said most of their female rats died of tumors. I dont know if i should get females or males. Whats your experiences and preferences? I am planning on getting a group of 3 sisters or brothers when i get rats next time.

Hey, Both males and females are prone to tumors but females have a large chance of getting pituitary tumors. Having then neutered when they are young helps with this but does not prevent it all together unfortunately. I have had almost exclusively females and now have 2 males but both are great. Females are a little less cuddly and way more energetic. They are also extremely smart and easy to train. I would almost say that females are sometimes more difficult to introduce to new females, while if males are spayed it might be easier to introduce them to females. I like having a mixed group but to each their own. I would definitely choose whatever you prefer :)

Hey, Both males and females are prone to tumors but females have a large chance of getting pituitary tumors. Having then neutered when they are young helps with this but does not prevent it all together unfortunately. I have had almost exclusively females and now have 2 males but both are great. Females are a little less cuddly and way more energetic. They are also extremely smart and easy to train. I would almost say that females are sometimes more difficult to introduce to new females, while if males are spayed it might be easier to introduce them to females. I like having a mixed group but to each their own. I would definitely choose whatever you prefer :)
Thankyou! I think I'll get females. But, ill see when its time.

Back