Feline diabetes?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerson

Just curious if anyone else here has a cat with feline diabetes, and how long you have been on a treatment plan now? My 10 year old bestest buddy Grimalkin that I have had since I was 11 has just been diagnosed recently. This is week 2 of insulin, this week his dose was increased from 3 units to 4 because at his check up last week, his blood glucose level had not dropped barely at all, if any, which was really disappointing and frustrating to hear. :sad3: So his next appointment is this coming Friday. I am so nervous and really hoping and praying that his blood glucose has gone down. It's as if we didn't even give him his insulin, I just don't get it. Keep him in your thoughts please! He lost half a kilogram though, last week so that was good! He is currently 22 pounds and has always been an over weight cat, literally, I can't ever remember him being at all thin. Here is a picture of him being an oh so jolly christmas cat. Don't worry, we just had the hat on for the picture. haha. He is the biggest, most fluffy, snuggly, laid back cat you could imagine, we all just adore him. He has cost my mom and I together over a grande but he is so worth every penny. He has been through every hard thing in my life with me, so now it is my turn to be there for him.

n504131329_1670511_4918.jpg

My burmese cat had diabetes which was brought on by the type of steriod my vet used for a skin condition.

It cost us a rediculous amount of money but after 3 years it dispersed and we just had to be careful with the kind of foods we gave her, she was very thin by the end BUT she did live until she was 21/22 so please don't lose hope !!!!!

My thoughts are with you

My aunts cat has diabeties. He is a big boy. She's been treating him for a while successfully. Not sure how long exactly. Definately at least 3 years or more. I know they had to cut down the food so week at one cup for example, then remove 5 kernels, then remove 5 more. That's how they helped diet. He's a pretty laid back fella so you put the food in front of him and do the shot while he's eating and he doesn't care. I don't remember his age though so that might make a difference.

Good luck.

sorry, to hear that. but i've seen many cats at work with diabetes and they manage pretty good. and i've seen at least one guy recover (no longer diabetic) from it.
you may still have many years to go with your kitty :D he's very handsome by the way!

Food, food, food is SO important. What are you feeding?

Feeding the correct food will reduce the amount of insulin needed, and in some cases eliminate the need for insulin altogether. Standard diets have too many carbohydrates which is what causes the huge spike in blood sugar which a diabetic cat cannot cope with. It is also what causes our cats to often become overweight in the first place.

The best diet is a completely grain free one. I have had more success with food managing diabetes with these commercial diets than the actual veterinary Diabetic diets. (Once again, I am SO lucky that I am at a clinic that allows me to recommend this -- many clinics won't.) These diets will have almost no carbs in them. Such as EVO (95% meat!) which I consider to be one of the best, Go! Natural Grain Free, Wellness CORE, Before Grain. If your cat will eat it then 100% canned diet is by far the best. If not, even foods such as the EVO dry kibble I believe has only 7% carbs.

So if you haven't already -- try doing this... It really will help a LOT. :)

And hang in there. :) It will get better!

Thank you for your replies! I forgot I posted this haha.

He is finally stablized at 5 1/2 units of insulin, morning & evening shots. He seems to be looking healthier, maybe I am imagining it though. He sure hates being on a diet though but he is slowly losing weight.

We've been feeding him Medical royal cannan diabetes dry and wet food, he gets half a can a day and half a cup of dry kibble. I am going to look into the brands you named and see if we have any here! We are trying to learn as much as we can about his diet so we can make sure we are feeding him properly.

He is definitely a special boy, I love him so freaking much. :heart:

Back