Feet with sores, puss and overall shock

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitsa

Haven't been on here in awhile and wish my first post wasn't one asking for help.

One of my rats that my dad has claimed as his own is not doing well, his names Possum. Normally I check everyone everyday for any signs of illness. Normally though if anything seems wrong with Possum my dad tells me. Well to my shock I found him in his little igloo unable to move.
His back feet have sores on them, he stinks to high heaven not only from the puss and infection but also from the buildup of fluids. His poor little..um i'm going to refer to it as rathood doesn't appear to be in good shape either.

Anything I can do to help until a vet appointment can be made? Just in so much shock that his condition is so bad.

You might want to see who is in Chat, for faster advice.

I've never had a rat with bumblefoot, which might be what Possum has on his feet. Older male rats can get penis plugs, which can cause painful inability to retract the penis. I have no experience with that, either, but there will be posts about it in the Health section under paraphimosis ( hope I spelled it right -- search for paraph* to be sure.

Do you have quick access to a vet? Possum sounds like he is in a lot of discomfort. It would also be helpful if you could post a couple of photos.

Are the sores on the soles of the hind feet (the heel?) This would be a staph aureus infedtion called bumblefoot and if there's pus and infection he will need oral antibiotics at least.

His penis, is it stuck out? If so this is paraphimosis. You have to check older (or sick) intact male rats every day for penis plugs as these can cause issues like infection, inability to urinte and paraphimosis. It can be dangerous if it dries out.

Here is my young boy's bout with it, with information on it, and treatments as well, even ones you can do at home.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4242&p=62442&hilit=goliath+paraphimosis#p62442

I'm pretty sure its bumblefoot. As for the penis plug, doesn't appear to be that.
Soon as I can pictures will be taken.

Back