Feeling Sad : Wildlife Rescue Yesterday

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

While out for a bike ride yesterday, I happened upon a situation at the riverside. A handful of kids were so worried, telling their mom to please help a poor seagull who was trying to escape a snapping turtle's grasp. The mom tried and tried to reach the turtle with a stick and smack it to get it to release the seagull, but he wouldn't budge.

Thankfully, just then I got a text from my husband, and I had nothing with me, but I knew that he would be able to get me the phone number for the Wild Bird Care Centre in town. He sent it to me and I called right away to ask what to do. The mom and her kids gave up on the bird, but hadn't left the area. So I went down the rocks and to the edge of the water and tried to help too, to no avail. Suddenly I realized my wallet was still back with my bicycle, and I ran back to get it, and came back down to the water front. I was only a moment, but when I got back, the seagull had broken free and was standing at the water's edge, waiting for me.

He knew I wanted to help him. And he was in shock, and in desperate shape. He needed my help.

I was nervous, but I tried gently to approach him. And the injured Seagull let me pick him up, and hold him in my arms. The people who were still there helped me get back up the rocks with the bird in my arms, tie up my bike, and call a taxi, and they waited with me for the taxi to arrive. I was afraid that the taxi driver would look at me with a wild bird and leave me at the roadside, but instead, a taxi driver came along and drove us quickly to the Wild Bird Care Center. He knew the place already, and he told me that the reason he came to Canada was because of people like me who cared about life. (As it turns out, I realized later that this taxi company was NOT the one we'd called! I really feel this man was an angel sent to help us.)

I was so close to tears already.. As I got a good look at our poor friend the Seagull, I found that his entire wing had been ripped off by the snapping turtle. I knew there was little hope for this poor guy, and that he must have been in quite a bit of pain. Still, as long as I continued to pet him, he stayed pretty calm.

When we arrived at the Wild Bird Care Centre, Mr. Seagull was examined immediately, and he had a fair bit of water in his lungs, and a missing wing. There really wasn't much they could do, and I felt dreadful for him. I was told that he would likely pass on his own in moments. He started fear pooping once I handed him over. I wish I'd thought it at the time, and I would have asked to stay with him until he was euthanized.. maybe having me there to pet him would have been a little less frightening..

Anyway, I felt so sad because poor Mr. Seagull had struggled valiantly to free himself from the snapping turtle and finally he did, but he was already too badly injured to survive. And all the people around him tried so much to help him. And in the end, there was nothing we could do to save him. The best anyone could do for him was to save him from lingering painful death in the wild.

Today I am having moments of grief spattered thru the day. I know that this is what life in the wild is like. I am grateful to have been part of this whole exercise when all the planets seemed to align to help this poor Seagull, even though he was fatally wounded. It was wonderful to meet so many people who cared about one lonely seagull. And to experience holding him in my arms for a short while. He had a great, strong character. Even in his final moments, he was a strong spirit, self assured. He trusted me. I am sad that he is gone.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. God bless you for all you did for that bird, and I hope that mr. seagull has a fantastic time now, playing at the rainbow bridge. I'm sure he'll be there to greet you some day, just to say thanks. It's normal to feel upset by this situation.. but if it weren't for you, things could have been so much worse.

Nature can be very 'tooth and claw'; however, you did the best you could to help the bird. At the wildlife care center here they've said that they often can't help birds with broken wings (that don't heal well), never mind missing wings and without a 2nd useable wing your gull wouldn't have been able to fend for himself. You gave him a much easier transition than if he'd had to go slowly out in the marsh, or become vulnerable to other predators out there. We can only do our best to help wild animals; after that, it is out of our hands.

I am currently trying to fed some medicated food to two squirrels in my area who seem to have eye infections; don't know if it's from squabbling and scratches from each other or what the issue might be. I know that if I try to capture a squirrel in a humane trap, that I stand to have it die from shock....however, if the meds don't seem to kick in within the week, then I'll have no choice but to try and do that and send them off to the wildlife center here - you can walk right up to these squirrels if you're quiet, due to their blindness, which makes them 'sitting ducks' for coyote, cats, etc. around here. With autumn and colder weather coming, it will be harder for them.

We do what we can; at least you should feel good in knowing you made a difference for this bird and that he is no longer suffering. He thanks you from his place in Spirit for your good deed, and I'm sure he is doing just fine.

Blessings.

I am sorry he didnt make it. you saved him from a harsh, slow death. nature can be cruel. but I am sure that, even in hiswildness and small understanding of humans, your seagull Iis looking down on the kind strangers that tried to save him. rest well feathered friend.

It's a hard reality check. I had something similar happen too.
There was a pigeon being pecked to death but a crow. The pigeon would run underneath cars stopped at the red light on a very busy road to avoid the crow but the red light would soon turn to green.
I ran out there, grabbed the pigeon away from the crow but I could see the damage was extensive.
I drove her to my vet, she would have tried to save her but it was too much. She had her put down humanely.

Thanks so much everyone. I am still grieving, but it really helps to hear your kind words and experiences.
I know that nature's way can be cruel. I was struck by the trust Mr. Seagull showed me in his most dire moments. I was also struck by the great strength I saw in him, even as he had just had a long struggle, and now was dying. He held his head high. He accepted my arms, and let me pet him gently. There was a sense of peace about him. It made me feel badly that there has to be such a great divide between humans and wild animals. There has to be for their sake... but we're really missing out..

It makes me feel good when animals can sense that you are trying to help them and not hurt them. You made his last moment on earth much more comforting, and you should feel comforted by that fact. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love what you did for him and I love that kids were trying to help him, too.

When I was a young teenager (probably 13) I found a fledgling crow that was being eaten alive by stray cats in the woods that I would play in. A lot of the skin on his wings was ripped apart, with bones showing. I took him inside and I nursed him back to health and had him for six months. I should have taken him to a vet, but my parents were dumb and wouldn't bring me. He was so sweet and trusting right away, though. He let me clean and wrap his wounds, and in no time he was all healed. I worked with him to exercise his wings and he learning to fly, and he even learned to talk a little bit!!! He was so great. I named him Edgar Allen Crow. ;p
Eventually my parents got sick of his noise and the fact that he like to store food throughout the house, so they finally contacted a bird rescue/rehab place to take him in. It was run by an old lady who said he would live with her for the rest of his life in an outdoor aviary.

It is sad that the seagull had to die, but in his death he showed the heart and kindness of the people around you, and he showed grace and serenity in his acceptance of a helping hand from a human. We are, for a large part, protected and ignorant of what life is really like out there for all the other animals. We have our sheltered view of things, and go happily on our way until something happens and the veil is lifted for a glance at reality, and we are shocked at our ignorance of the struggle that goes on around us every day...
Thanks for trying - that's really all you can do. :hugs:

Joanne said:
It is sad that the seagull had to die, but in his death he showed the heart and kindness of the people around you, and he showed grace and serenity in his acceptance of a helping hand from a human. We are, for a large part, protected and ignorant of what life is really like out there for all the other animals. We have our sheltered view of things, and go happily on our way until something happens and the veil is lifted for a glance at reality, and we are shocked at our ignorance of the struggle that goes on around us every day...
Thanks for trying - that's really all you can do. :hugs:

It's true. I/we really have no concept of what life in the wild is really like. I always think of life in the wild in an almost romantic sense. Free, open, no worries.. it's so much more than that.

What I felt the worst about was that the poor seagull came to me for help, and I felt he trusted me. In fact, entrusted me with his life at that point... and all I could do was bring him to a place that would euthanize him so that he wouldn't have to face death alone in the wild. I felt as if I'd betrayed his trust.. I wished with all my might that there was some way I could have healed him. But what could be done? His wing was completely gone. .. I hope I get to meet him when I pass thru the door someday. So much to learn from him..

Sorry for being such a downer folks.. I appreciate all your encouragement and feedback very much..

I'm so, so sorry :( I had a similar experience recently with a female duck, who we called Bella. I still think about her and feel sad sometimes. It doesn't take long to get attached to such innocent beings <3

Back