Feel like crying? - WARNING Pictures in link

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Start lobbying your governments. Start with your municipality. Go to a council meeting and submit a proposal to ban the sale and use of live animals as feed. Most knowledgeable herp owners would already agree that live feeding is not a responsible choice and they need to be brought on board and not treated as the enemy in order to make a successful bid.

Once municipalities start doing it we move up to the provinicial or federal level. This is already the case in the UK and Austrailia.

i reported the ad as offensive since they are showing pics of rats to be intended for eating. and it is a "pets" section of a classifieds. if they want to advertise then make a short ad and a contact email no pics are needed or bragging about live feeders.

I am a customer of Outrageous Reptiles and I happen to be good friends with the owners. Most of their feeders are sold frozen, but there are ALWAYS exceptions and cases where live feeding is necessary and, therefore, they have to keep some live feeders available as well for those situations.

They post pictures of the feeders in their ads not to offend people, but to sell the product, much like a farmer would post pictures of his free-range, grain-free chickens or some other product. Outrageous also will sell their rodents as pets if requested. There is nothing illegal or cruel about how they run their business. All of the animals are kept clean and well-fed and no animal is suffering in any way. Calling the SPCA is only a waste of your time, and theirs. Snakes and other herps have to eat, just as any other animal does. If you keep trying to shut down companies such as Outrageous, then you are only going to make it harder for anyone to keep snakes as pets, and that's not fair. Without a reliable source to buy frozen feeders, more people will resort to pet shops which will lead to more rats in the bins, more money made by the stores, and the problem with rodent over-population will never end.

Lindsay said:
I am a customer of Outrageous Reptiles and I happen to be good friends with the owners. Most of their feeders are sold frozen, but there are ALWAYS exceptions and cases where live feeding is necessary and, therefore, they have to keep some live feeders available as well for those situations.

I'm not trying to be offensive, just curious. What reptiles require live feeders? I've never heard of a case where frozen ones aren't capable of being used instead...

Lindsay said:

I'm not trying to be offensive, just curious. What reptiles require live feeders? I've never heard of a case where frozen ones aren't capable of being used instead...

Some snakes are INCREDIBLY picky and just simply and outright refuse to eat anything that's already dead. Ball pythons are notorious for being picky. Yes, some will eventually take frozen-thawed with a lot of encouragement and tricks and whatnot, but some just will NOT. You can't just not feed them and let them die if they won't eat dead prey ...

Not all herpers are psychotic people who only keep snakes to watch them eat live mice/rats, but there are a few idiots out there. True herpers know that frozen/thawed or pre-killed are the way to go. Not only because it's less suffering for a rodent, but because their snake (or other animal) is at less risk of being bitten or attacked, and because the act of freezing a rodent for 30+ days before consumption actually kills any possible parasites that they may be carrying and could transmit to the snake.

Will the snake simply allow itself to die?

I'm not trying to be offensive towards you Lindsay, just rambling on really. I'm so uncomfortable with the idea of live feeding, but also with the way the rodents get killed for those snakes fed non-living food. For me gassing with CO2 when done properly isn't too bad, but are they really killed this way? I was reading one of the snake forums (Aussie Python) and was quite shocked by the uncaring nature that quite a number of the posters had towards rodents. Maybe it's just Australian snakes owners, but I doubt it.

Trust me I hate to say I agree with some of this..... but some of what this person says is true.....for one it is not illegal to sell rats for food....no more then it is for farmers to sell beef and chicken.......many adds show cows standing in fields to show that they are selling good quality.
Many people eat meat and I for one would much rather see animals raised and killed humanly then have people buy meat from the local grocery stores. Those animals are NOT treated humanly...they are made to suffer, shipped and killed in very inhuman ways. We might not eat them live but by buying them we are saying we are okay with the really terrible things that are being done to them. But no one complains because they are all ready dead, cut up and in nice little packages.
Some people are going to feed live to their snakes.....I certainly wish they would not. It must be a terrible way to die.....but it is better to buy them from a place were they are raised and treated as humanly as possible then to support pet stores and rat mills. Even when the pet stores sell pre-killed how do we know it was humanly......it might have been just as horrific as being killed by a snake......
We feed out dogs dog food......and they contain meat. True we are not feeding them live food....but someone did kill the animals that went into making up that food. If you think the animals that we eat, or are going into our pets food has been killed humanly guess again.....Do some research...you will be horrified.
So as much as I hate the thoughts of snakes eating our dear beloved rats it is not as simple as sayings don’t feed live.

i think its just in poor taste to post very cute pics of rats then its almost like they are bragging they are for live feeders.
i too am not against snakes and their need to eat but i have told other people who do this that they are advertising in a pet section of the classifieds and it is a touchy subject unfortunately. in other words they do not need to have pics to sell the rats they can email those privately.
unfortunately some people do not train their snakes to eat prekilled food so the older snakes get the harder it can be to get them to do this.

I also agre with Lindsay on this one.

Sometimes our snakes will go on "hunger strikes" and all we can do is offer live food, sometimes they go off rats, mice and other rodents are neeeded. As a responsible pet owner, no matter WHAT you have for a pet, it is your duty to ensure it has the proper food and not allow the animals to starve. There is no "medical" cause that can be cured for a vet, sometimes the snakes just need a change, and Live is great to have as an option.

I have had rats for years now as pets, and my snakes get the same treatment as my rats did.

Now let's talk bussiness side of things. How many of you post on kijiji? Posting a pic in the ad draws more attention and increases sales. The point wasn't to show you lovely rats that are going to die!! It was to show people who may be interested in buying, that they are well kept and healthy. Make a fuss when someone posts pics of rats being sold as feeders with feces all over the place,because the sad reality is, some reptle people don't have respect for their " feeder" breeders and you'd be surprised the conditions they are kept in... In turn they also have unhealthy snakes..

Local Pets stores sell live, try shutting them down, they don't keep them alive in the BEST conditions..

At least when I buy my feeders from Outrageous Reptiles, If I DID have to buy live, I know the rats were well cared for, clean and healthy.

Oh and BTW: there are caps on the # of rats you can own, just the same as there are caps on the # of dogs to live in one household.

How would you like it if someone complained enough and tried to shut you down because of rescue work? Because they can, and will try..

Get the Government involved and the only thing that will happen is a ban on rats in NS, just like other provinces..

The picture really was heartless....It was of a momma rat lying on her back nursing her little ones.....No way anyone could tell they were well kept and well looked after from that picture.
Advertising is one thing...but not in the pet section and not with pictures that are meant to hurt people.

Oh and I have always wondered about people who have rats as pets and snakes as pets......How come some you love and some you can toss into a tank and let your other pet eat it? I have never understood that.....

All animals need to eat right? I get a rat as a pet and I love it because I share a bond with it, as I do with my snakes, I don't INSTANTLY love an animal.
I feed frozen, but really, the animal still came to the same fate that a 'live feeder' would come to.. So either way..

If the day ever came that one of my snakes needed live food, they'd have it... no if's and's or but's.. I own the animal and I keep it alive and healthy.

Sometime's it's just not possible..

If your PROBLEM is with the picture, constructive criticism is more respectable than coming on asking for ways to SHUT A PERSON DOWN....

A picture is JUST a picture, nobody said that the mom and babies were food, maybe those are personal pets? You don't get much info from a picture..You don't get the full story

I feel you are changing the subject of this whole post, Your goal was to get help in shutting them down, not the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back