Febreze and Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nethz29

Hi Guys,

I woke up this morning and was really upset because my rats were coughing up blood, I'm not sure what has caused this to happen. Recently I have had to move their cage to the garage for a couple hours a night, I have also started using febreze all over the house including where they are kept but with he window open. Do you think that could be the reason they're sick?

Matt :(

They are getting congested probably due to all those factors you've mentioned. They have an excess of porphyrin, not blood. But I'd say a vet visit might be good in case it's gone from irritation to infection. Can you change that again, no garage, no open window near them and no febreeze in their area.

I'm sorry to hear about your babies being sick and hope they get better. That would scare the crap out of me! I know that Febreze kills fish (which is why I don't use it) but didn't think it would harm rats.

Febreeze is harmful to ALL animals (including humans). Nobody, especially those with pets should use it.

Rats are very sensitive to sented items. When I got my rats I removed all air fresherners, I never put on purfume when around them and I only dust with water. Also rats are supposed to be kept at a contsent temp at all times, changing that could make them sick (being in the garage, having teh window open).

I hope they get better soon :)

I didn't know about the constant temperature..... my girls are kept in my living room/kitchen which is an open concept. But so is most of my suite! :(
I could only move them to the closet where they wouldn't have people to observe to keep them somewhat more entertained :(

Also ALL air fresheners are gross to me..... why perfume the air?

I don't think that rats need so much of a constant temperature as much as they need to be within a range of temperatures. I try to keep it between 18º-25ºC year round and not to dry. If it's warm (not hot) outside I do open the window to get some fresh air flowing through the apartment.

Air fresheners/"refreshers" are a definite no-no though, they're not good for anyone. If it's your rats that are the problem, then you need to look at your cage and/or how you're cleaning it.

Why did you put your rats in the garage? I am not sure about your area but it has been cold here lately. Besides the febreeze the cold temps could have made your rats sick. If they look frail, they really need to see a vet ASAP they probably need meds.

i wish the people at fabreeze would put a warning on thier labels I will not have the stuff in the house a couple of years ago i heard about a couple of parrots dying because thier owners used fabreeze near thier cages i hope your rats get better soon.

I spray it on my bed, where of course I sleep. I also have an issue with allergies and asthma and it doesn't really affect me unless perhaps I'm having a really bad day (in which case I don't have any symptoms that would indicate anything but the usual with those conditions). And I know how Febreeze works but I'm wondering if any of the ingredients are known to be dangerous to anything but bacteria.

Fabreze as well as many other airborne chemical products can kill birds because of their respitory system, basically they don't have a way to filter out dangerous particles the way we do.

Any inhalants, sprays, fragrances can cause:
* headaches
* dizziness
* nausea
* fatigue
* weakness
* insomnia
* malaise
* confusion
* loss of appetite
* depression
* anxiety
* numbness
* upper respiratory symptoms
* shortness of breath
* difficulty with concentration
* skin irritation

I used to use Febreze with Eli and Teddy, and didn't see any problems but that's not to say it wasn't ruining their little bodies.
Instead I have a HEPA-type filter right beside the boys' cage and it works so much better, and I use vinegar and water as a cleaner.

i know it is`nt harmfull to humansbut i woud`nt chance it near any cages, vivs or fishtanks i just wish the makers would put a warning on the bottles

Back