Fear poo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWilder

So I've had my new girls since Sunday and everything is going great! They even took to the litter box like they had been doing it their whole lives. The only problem I'm having is my one little girl Belle fear poops whenever I bring her out of the cage. No matter where we are or what we are doing she just keeps going. She is fine with me when she is in the cage...climbs all my hands and nibbles at my fingers in a sweet way and if I am near the cage she climbs the walls to look at me and even lets me rub her belly.

Could she just need more time adjusting to her new home? Should I even be taking her out of the cage at this point?

Thank you for easing my concern!

We had a success last night! I took both Belle and Briar out and let them roam together and I just sat there and let them get into whatever they wanted and by the end of it Belle hadn't pooed at all and she was attempting to climb me :)

I did have a slight panic moment however when somehow Briar managed to climb INTO Templeton's cage while my back was turned! Lucky he was being a grumpy butt and wouldn't come out of igloo. She is obsessed with him even after he nipped her ears... :emb:

jorats said:
Oh dear, you'll have to try and make both cages very escape proof. Rats can be very determined!

Their cage is escape proof however the spacing for his cage is big enough for them to squeeze through. He can't of course because he is at least 6 times their size... I just have to be more careful during out time. :?

JayWilder said:
jorats said:
Oh dear, you'll have to try and make both cages very escape proof. Rats can be very determined!

Their cage is escape proof however the spacing for his cage is big enough for them to squeeze through. He can't of course because he is at least 6 times their size... I just have to be more careful during out time. :?
You'll need to acquire ninja skills. Once a rat learns how to get to something, they will do it over and over again. It's amazing how willful these little ones are.

jorats said:
You'll need to acquire ninja skills. Once a rat learns how to get to something, they will do it over and over again. It's amazing how willful these little ones are.

Haha! I'll get to practicing then!

It seems we've had a role reversal with tonight's out time. Belle was happy running around and even pop-corning a little where as the normally hyper silly adventurous Briar was terrified and wouldn't come out of her hiding place.

I cannot wait for them to both be happy little girls :(

My Butternubs was back at the vet Monday to have his eyes flushed out.
Not his first visit and I doubt it will be his last.
He fear pooped in their hands like he was storing it up for months. :shock:
I have had him over a year and he still fear poops and acts like the worlds out to kill him.
Poor boy. :hugs:
I blame Olive for his lack of progress as that girlie could drive a saint to drink. :giggle:
Keep snuggling your girlies.
I'm sure that in no time they will relax. :heart:

Have you tried the down your shirt trick? Put on a tshirt, then a sweatshirt over top, place the two girls in between and leave them there for about an hour. Do this several times a day. They will start to bond to your odour and relate you to warm cozy place.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
He fear pooped in their hands like he was storing it up for months. :shock:
I have had him over a year and he still fear poops and acts like the worlds out to kill him.

:giggle: Poor boy!

jorats said:
Have you tried the down your shirt trick? Put on a tshirt, then a sweatshirt over top, place the two girls in between and leave them there for about an hour. Do this several times a day. They will start to bond to your odour and relate you to warm cozy place.

I'll have to try that! There's no risk that it will traumitize them, is there?

mamarat said:
How old are the girls? Between 3 and 8 months they do get scared at nothing some days and then are ok again.

They are just between 5-7 weeks old. The place we got them said 4 weeks and that was a week ago but I believe they are a bit older.

:dance: I'm so excited!!! I had both girls out on the bed last night and no poo! They were out for almost 2 hours! They both ran around for awhile exploring then Briar snuggled up on my shoulder and groomed herself and my neck and eventually drifted off to sleep. Belle met my dog Marceline who is a black lab/boxer mix and all she did was sniff her and taste test her nose then went about exploring eventually cuddling into my lap and watching tv with me!

I'm so happy and in love with my little girls! :cloud9:

The girls are doing great! No more pooping unless something scary happens like my doberman leaping to his feet and barking at someone at the door :emb: But other than that I now get kisses and as soon as I go in their room they are up the sides of their cage checking out what I'm doing. :dance:

One thing I am kind of wondering though...they seem to want my fingernails dead! :giggle: They find the longest one and start nibbling on it...they have wood chews but could that just not be satisfing their chewing need?

mamarat said:
They're just grooming you. Mine are always trying to trim my nails too. Glad the girls are doing better.

Oh good! Now all 3 of little rattie loves groom me. I feel loved! :heart:

And thank you! I was concerned about them for awhile there.

Back