Fasting for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgirl

Done lots of reading on studies suggesting that fasting from food has increased the lifespan of rats as well as reducing the occurance of tumors, and helping slow cancer progression.
The idea is, you feed the rats all they can eat within a certain feeding window, then take all good away for another window.
This is supposed to slow metabolism mechanisms related to aging and age related diseases, as well as tumor mechanisms in the body.
Thoughts?
You aren't starving your rats, just limiting meal time.
You could do this every day or a few days a week as you see comfortable.
I have seen results in a Betta of mine (obviously different species) but I only fed my fish once a week, sometimes once every other week. This fish lived to be 19years old (I had him 19years)
Bettas life spans are supposed to be 5 yrs at best.
I'm doing similar things with other fish with similar results. A 10 year old and 8year old Betta. And my fish are very healthy and vibrant. And my 19 year old fish looked vibrant and healthy and active untile death.
This is obviously extreme example and speculative. But I want to hear opinions on this!
If it could help my ratties live longer and with fewer disease progressions I would be excited to do it!

It would be interesting to read the primary research you are referring to. Do you have the journal references?

For people who ae unaware, fasting is not good for rats. Rats have a fast metabolism and need to "graze". If you slow their metabolisms down, as happens naturally as rats age, then they will put on weight and have less energy, etc. It is important that they have food available all the time. This is why it is important not to fast rats before surgery. Fasting rats would give them a poor quality of life and cause stress. Stress causes illness in rats.

Studies on lab rats in a controlled environment showed that rats that were underfed were thin and lived longer. I believe that would provide rats with a very poor quality of life. Being hungry all the time and food insecure is not a good life. Instead of restricting all food it is much better to reduce the amount of higher fat foods and increase the amount of higher fibre foods, such as the amount of daily vegs, given.

In my opinion the take away is that rats that are fed a healthy diet and are a healthy weight (tubular shaped) will live longer and be healthier then they would if overweight (pear shaped) or obese (round). Of course many pet rats, like people do put on weight once they become older and slow down.
Years ago, Jorats found that she needed to control the amount of rat blocks her rats ate each day and feed them more real foods such as vegs because if they ate too many blocks they became fat. She made sure that each rat ate some blocks each day because the blocks provide the total nutrition that rats require.

In terms of maximizing life span and health, rats will live longer and be healthier if they are fed a healthy diet that meets all of their nutritional needs, have a clean, interesting, stimulating environment, have daily exercise, have social interaction with their owner and other rats, receive prompt medical care, etc
Research shows that rats need a low protein diet, protein from plant sources not animals sources, a variety of daily vegs, and a diet that does not include foods with added sugar, added salt, etc
Spaying female rats by 4 months of age (although it helps at all ages) is also important for health, disease prevention and life span.

For information on a healthy diet for rats, suggested supplements etc please see the information in our Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Please see the entire letter written by a nutritionist on the topic of food and lifespan in rats https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/harlan-teklad-q.5672/#post-84912
Toward the end of his letter he states:
You can seek to restrict the diet if you wish or you can supplement their diet with high fiber foods such as fruits and vegetables. High fiber foods will fill their stomachs making them feel full but contributing little to their energy intake. However, make sure that in feeding these high fiber supplements that you do not displace the diet by more than 33%. The animal is relying on the diet to meet its nutrient requirements. The supplements are for enrichment and an attempt to reduce excessive weight gain. Also, place items in the cage which decrease boredom. If I put you in a room with nothing to do, but with food always available you are going to spend a great deal of time eating and drinking too.
Many of the posts concerning nutrition in this diet section of the forum are also worth a read

Thank you for bringing up this topic. It has been a long time since I read the letter from the nutritionist and it was good to read it again

Last edited:
I saw that too but with the same results, restrictive calories is equally as good. That's what I did. I gave a certain amount of blocks and veggies and nothing more. My guys were pretty healthy and good lifespan too. I think you are talking about intermittent fasting right? Allow food for say 5 hours a day and nothing 19 hours?

Back