Facial Abscess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Yay another Momo thread! Well she's 2y2m now so expect a lot more. lol! A few days ago I noticed a lump on Momo's cheek.. kind of like a hamster who has food stored in it's mouth. I took her to our vet a day after, where she poked it with a needle and found green pus coming out. So it's an abscess - of that there can be no doubt.

She prescribed baytril which I'm to administer 0.1ml twice a day. We're on day 2 now and the abscess isn't getting any smaller. Now that I look back, I should have asked Sam why she didn't drain it completely, although she's experienced with rats [more so than any other vet in town anyways] so I presume there's a reason, given the location.

Should I try putting a warm compress on it? I'm just worried given the location. Is that dosage of baytril enough to treat an abscess?

aww poor Momo
I don't know (for sure) about using warm compresses on a facial abscess, sorry. but I am guessing it's probably not recommended.

I remember having an abscessed tooth some 20 yrs ago and I put warm compresses on my very swollen face, because it felt better to me than cold-
but turned out the dentist said I was making it worse doing that. :( The infection went into my jaw bone and needed surgery, it was awful.

hopefully the ABs clear up your baby's abscess quickly :)

aww poor Momo
I don't know (for sure) about using warm compresses on a facial abscess, sorry. but I am guessing it's probably not recommended.

I remember having an abscessed tooth some 20 yrs ago and I put warm compresses on my very swollen face, because it felt better to me than cold-
but turned out the dentist said I was making it worse doing that. :( The infection went into my jaw bone and needed surgery, it was awful.

hopefully the ABs clear up your baby's abscess quickly :)

Thanks. That makes me feel relieved.. at least I'm doing all I can. :p

I'm just worried because it's grown, but then she hasn't been on antibiotics for long. Hopefully the baytril is enough.. she's been on it before and might be resistant.. an abscess in the mouth is the worst possible place.. it must hurt her so much to eat x.x

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too concerned if it is a bit bigger looking for a day or so, but after that, if it doesn't start to reduce in size, I'd call the vet and ask them if this is normal.

I had a boy with a closed abscess on his shoulder, and it was treated with just oral antibiotics. It was kind of deep in his skin, not on the surface like most abscesses- I don't know how he got it, he had it before he came to live with me.
Anyway, it took a bit longer to heal compared to the abscesses I've treated since, which were opened up and flushed out, but it did go away- getting smaller every day til it was gone.
and the good thing was, no icky stinky pus to deal with LOL
He wasn't on baytril though, he was given SMZ
SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/ TRIMETHOPRIM, according the Rat and Mouse drug guide http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

you might want to check the dose of baytril there, just in case it's too low.

I wouldn't be too concerned if it is a bit bigger looking for a day or so, but after that, if it doesn't start to reduce in size, I'd call the vet and ask them if this is normal.

I had a boy with a closed abscess on his shoulder, and it was treated with just oral antibiotics. It was kind of deep in his skin, not on the surface like most abscesses- I don't know how he got it, he had it before he came to live with me.
Anyway, it took a bit longer to heal compared to the abscesses I've treated since, which were opened up and flushed out, but it did go away- getting smaller every day til it was gone.
and the good thing was, no icky stinky pus to deal with LOL
He wasn't on baytril though, he was given SMZ
SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/ TRIMETHOPRIM, according the Rat and Mouse drug guide http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

you might want to check the dose of baytril there, just in case it's too low.

It's 5% at 0.1ml every 2 days. Fairly standard concentration from what I've seen.

I'm more worried now that I've read up on facial abscesses and saw how many rats die from them..

oh noooooo! that's scary
well you're on top of it and doing all the right things, that's all you can do, right?

sending good wishes for fast and total healing

oh noooooo! that's scary
well you're on top of it and doing all the right things, that's all you can do, right?

sending good wishes for fast and total healing

I know.. it just sucks because I haven't been spending as much time as I should have with her lately. You always think you'll have time to change that until it's too late.

Momo's really strong though. She's survived three tumour removal surgeries. I'd like to think a simple abscess won't do her in.. :(

I would ask the vet about another antibiotic such as clavamox or chloramphenicol as they penetrate tissue and are good for infections.
You are right, facial abscesses are frightening

We just had the most awful experience with a facial abscess. Clamavox is the way to go and if that doesn't work try flagyl. You should keep it open and flush it daily, but make sure its not invading the sinus cavity. If there is pus/goo coming out her nose its in the sinus so don't flush. Watch her teeth for overgrowth due to difficulty eating. Pains meds are good

This is Newton's thread - he didn't make it, but his infection started with his eye and spread to his facial bones.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33595

Last edited:
We just had the most awful experience with a facial abscess. Clamavox is the way to go and if that doesn't work try flagyl. You should keep it open and flush it daily, but make sure its not invading the sinus cavity. If there is pus/goo coming out her nose its in the sinus so don't flush. Watch her teeth for overgrowth due to difficulty eating. Pains meds are good

This is Newton's thread - he didn't make it, but his infection started with his eye and spread to his facial bones.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33595

It's like half the size it was originally now. I think the baytril's working.

It's like half the size it was originally now. I think the baytril's working.
That's good to hear! I really think whatever Newton had was rare, at least I hope so. We had another one that had a jaw abscess amd had to stay on flagyl for life since the abscess would come back when we stopped that meds. Hope your ordeal ends soon.. Healing vibes from us

That's good to hear! I really think whatever Newton had was rare, at least I hope so. We had another one that had a jaw abscess amd had to stay on flagyl for life since the abscess would come back when we stopped that meds. Hope your ordeal ends soon.. Healing vibes from us

It's like 90% gone now. Definitely a relief for me x.x and I'm glad she isn't in pain anymore.

Back