Face swelling on rat, below right eye.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad I took a second opinion.

There doesn't seem to be any solid mass from the x-ray.

74415_10151551050563322_1430598070_n.jpg

Definitely, vet 1 didn't have an x-ray. From the x-ray, I really don't think theres any tumor, well I could be wrong. But vet 2 also reflected that she did not notice any abnormalities. She also concurred that surgery in this location is risky.

He's on clavamox and meloxicam combi at the moment, review and fine needle on Monday.

If this turns out to be a case of a wrong diagnosis, so be it! At least it was remedied right in the nick of time!

Thank you all, I do want to know how I could possibly make him a little more comfortable though, there seems to be plenty of porph :(

let me go see. i dont have his exact weight now, im estimating 850 grams given that he looks a little thinner.

Pluie said:
0.1 cc twice a day, 1.5mg/ml

If your boy was 700 grams, that dosaeg would be .2 mg/kg (an oooold dosage before they realized rats tolerate metacam a lot better than they thought...it's not .5-2 mg/kg

In my opinion he should be getting at least 4 times that for the swelling/pain...give him a dose of .38 cc and see if that helps. You gave him .1 cc 6 hours ago, give him .28 cc now.

I do hope he responds to the medication. What he really needs is a diagnosis.

Remember that x-rays are a two-dimensional picture of a three-dimensional object, and that soft tissue won't necessarily show up... did they take more than one view?

Apparently not, But it feels so soft like theres a liquid waiting to burst out of that sac.

Tomorrow he's going to go down for a needle aspiration. It is very likely that an abscess build up over time. No problems, I'll get a few more views tomorrow.

Will keep all of you updated. Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts all these while. It really helped me tide over a difficult time.

I do wish I had better news.

The fine needle came back empty. There was no eruption of pus, nothing of that sorts.

It will then be sent to the lab for a histology. The vet did mention that it is very likely a soft tissue sarcoma, very rare however.

:( I'm starting to do some research on wolfberries, reishi mushrooms and Pau D'arco for my boy.

Back