• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

fabric choices for burial pouches, please vote

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've had more requests for burial pouches/bags and have run out of fabric that I think is appropriate

I chose some Joann's flannel prints, now on sale for $3.49/yd and would love your input on which prints you like and/or think would be good for burial pouches.

here are four that I think might work, what do you think?
remember these are not for hammocks, these are to wrap up your beloved rat, boy or girl, young or old, to lay to rest, so keep that in mind when you choose ok?
even if you don't ever plan to get any of these, I'd like your input as I think everyone probably has their own ideas of what is appropriate for a burial cloth.
Not something anyone wants to think about though, of course :(
So I really appreciate you taking a few minutes to think about it and give me your opinions

and for anyone who actually plans to purchase burial pouches, please feel free to go to Joann's website and choose the fabric you'd like used, I just ask that you choose from the sale flannel prints, thanks

http://www.joann.com/fabric/flannel-fab ... e-flannel/

<sorry had to delete the photos, was starting to go over my limit in flikr>

If I was to have a burial pouch for my rattie, I would like it to be bright and happy to celebrate their life. These are all too somber for my tastes. I have to admit though, that I like to wrap them in simple paper towel, as it is biodegradable. (I like to think that some day, way in the future, some paleontologist will dig up one of my kids' little rattie skeleton, and find a beautiful glass bead with it, and ponder and wonder what type of treasured pet this was to be sent on to the afterlife with a perfectly preserved present...)

They all seem suitable, its hard to pick one. I would think owner preference and rat to be a big factor. If I had to stop and really think about it, all of my boys would have something different, something to suit their personality. In the end, they usually get laid to rest wrapped in a favorite hammock or scrap of cloth they took a shining to. But really, all of those choices are quite nice.

thanks everyone for your feedback!

I've always used something different for each rat, to suit their personality and how I felt at the time (I had such a hard time seeing Paige lifeless that I gave her a little pillow and pulled a blanket up over her, to make it look like she was sleeping, that made it easier on me)

so I've made a variety of different ones, once again-
I'd hoped to simplify the ordering by making just a few types/colors/prints but this just makes more sense

I'll be posting some new ones in the Garage section in a bit. Also decided, or rather, my lack of funds decided for me! to make some "upcycled" ones, as I've heard things made with reclaimed fabrics are called.
I got some second hand clothing at the thrift store on sale 50 cents each and cut those up to make some very unique burial pouches, some with inner pockets to put trinkets and such in, the way that Shelagh does for her ratties (coins and food, and the like)

thanks again, if anyone has a specific request, let me know and I'll do my best to get you what you'd like.

I think the second one is a bit too childllish for a burial, though I understand how people could like it. They are "our babies" afterall.

I like the first and the last one most. :]

Back