Fable - June 2005 to April 26/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

There was a fateful kijiji ad

2 female fancy rats, 2 female degus, free for pets or feeders

The rats were first come, first served. :shock:

Wonderful moon picked them up and fostered them and met me the next day on the subway line. The 2 girls were over 2, and smelt terrible, and were obviously neglected but that soon changed. They were named Saffi and Fable. Fable was a cinnamon agouti with sad “I could tell you tales” eyes…hence the name. She had injuries or muscle weakness and wasn’t able to walk properly. She would flatten out like a starfish and drag herself along on her belly. She was always rather thin compared to her stocky black variberk sister Saffi.
Eventually she was able to walk and then even run, but would often still flatten out at times. After her extreme fear went away she became sooo sweet and gentle. Saffi was her protector and friend/sister, and Fable was always nearby.
Fast forward 8 months from when I got them, and poor Saffi has a huge mammary tumour but is doing very very well for 34 months. Fable sadly had recently developed auricular polyps which we got under control and then she developed an abscess on her jaw. It didn’t respond to treatment at all, and got infected badly. She was still doing well and fighting but I decided to make that decision for her, since she would be sick and suffering soon.

On Thursday night I had her and Saff out on the bed while I slept. Saffi ended up curled up sleeping in the ferret cuddle cup but Fable insisted she must sleep laying over my neck…I didn’t sleep well but I think she did.

My sweet Fable was the most peaceful rat with no ego whatsoever. She lived to love, and be loved. Saffi and I will miss you terribly Coffee Rat #1. :heart:

Saffi and Fable just home
oldgals.jpg

Fable3Aug18.jpg

Fable was able to climb the chair herself…a big accomplishment for a girl who couldn’t climb over my arm for the longest time. J
FablelooksproudAug18.jpg

FableSept23.jpg

Finally those eyes are starting to relax
FableOct21.jpg

So very comfy
SaffiandFableloveeachotherOct27.jpg

Fable and Saffi in their new Wonderrodent Cube
FableandSaffiintheircows.jpg

Shelagh, you cared for her and loved her. She died peacefully because of you. :hugs:
R.I.P. Fable

A very touching tribute for a very special girl :heart:
I'm so glad that Fable :heart: had a good life with you and didn't suffer.
:cuddle:

I can hardly see for the tears, dearest Shelagh. Sweet little Fable. I'm sure she's still telling stories where she is now.

I'm so sorry. What a sweet girl she was! I am glad that you were able to give her such a loving home for the last part of her life and to prevent her from suffering a painful death. I hope that she and Moth got their pan flutes right away at the Bridge party.

All my hugs Shelagh. I am so sorry you had to let Fable go but you gave her the sweetest ending to a hard life lived.

Staci

I'm so sorry Shelagh. Your tribute to her is just loving and personal and fitting as the name you chose for her. What a beautiful sweet girl.
She had wonderful 8 months with you & Saffi, and hard as it is for you to lose her she at least had the well-deserved gift of not losing either of you that made her world a place of loving & being loved.

Your story tells all that she deserved to live a wonderful life with you after been treated badly before coming to you. She was one lucky girl. I am sure the gossip at Rainbow Bridge was Mommy(Shelagh) is a wonderful person and I got to live the rest of my life with her.RIP Fable.

Ann

OMG Shelagh. I just read about Moth and then saw that Fable has passed on as well. I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. I had never really heard the whole story of Fable and reading her bio was so touching. She was such a special little girl. How is her sister dealing with the loss? Fable and Saffi really remind me of the bond that Lottie and Amilia had too. :cry3:

Back