Eyes bugged and cloudy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattttt

Hi,

A few months ago, my rat Cheerio's left eye was surrounded in a thick Porphyrin on her eyelids. I cleaned it off and rinsed her eye with drops for a few days. She seemed fine.

Now, her eyes seem more buggy; more than my other rat. I feel like I can almost see through them if I look from above her head straight down.

Today, her left eye was suddenly a blue cloudy color. There is one small whitish smudge-line over the top of her eye. There is no Porphyrin; no more than normal. Her eye is a little bit more closed than the other one, but it doesn't look extensively swollen.

What do you think is causing this? Should I visit the vet? If it is an infection, what kind of drops or ointment do I get for her?

Thank you in advance.

Does the eye look like this?

Could be infection, could be injury, could be glaucoma...my guess is injury since she had excessive porphryin earlier.

You will have to watch it like a hawk, make sure she can still close her eye and keep it lubricated. Remember that she is now blind in that eye. IF the eye starts to swell you will sadly have 2 choices and you will need to make them fast...1) a humane euthanasia, or 2) a surgery to remove her eye called an enucleation

I have put Posie's next eye pic under a spoiler so I can show you what it looked like when it went bad a month or so later...

[spoil:nof6nxb2] [/spoil:nof6nxb2]

And this is after her surgery

Yes, it does look a bit like the first image. What did your rat get? An infection?

Sorry, the pictures are kinda blurry but they get the point across:
http://imgur.com/a/HCGlt

Thanks for helping; I'm really worried.

Can you take more pics from both sides, and from the front as well so we can see if the eye is bulging at all? She looks like a dwarf hamster with big eyes in those pics LOL

Back