Eye squinting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace

This morning my rat started to squint with his left eye. It's only his left eye. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, and he doesn't excessively scratch there that I've noticed. Do you think it will go away by itself? I did try to clean around the eye in case something was caught there, but it didn't seem to help. There's not any sign of poryphin right now. I just would love to get a little advice to ease my worries. Thank you!

jorats said:
keep an eye on it. (no pun intended :giggle: )
*smile* (ok -*giggled)
I'm just giving a second to Jorat's advice.
It's so much more common for them (or us) to just have something in an eye temporarily than for it to be something that needs a doctor/vet. a couple times a month my eyes itch and my eyelids swell to kiddy-pool proportions..
Give it a bit and I hope all is well.
This question has me wondering tho - could we use those eye-squirt products on the kids? Would they have the same benefit from them as we do without unknown problems?

If it persists then you can use polysporin ointment for eyes to soothe/moisturize and possibly medicate a little. But like us they have their eye squinty days too. :lol:

One of the rats I look after quite a bit, Pi-rat, has this problem too, but hers is much more constant. She has been to teh vet, but they were unsure of the cause and said it might just be an allergy. She also had a pretty bad head tilt at teh time, but that is better and she is still squinty. She ahs has the eye polysporin but it didn't help. She always seems a bit better after a cage cleaning, so I tend to see her squinting as a clue that I need to change the cage again hehe.

jeckyll does that with his one eye, hes not bothered by it, but i have noticed he cant see as far as hyde, and his eyes are diffrent colours, he is diabetic, so its natural for him to be abit blind.

Back