Eye infection? PLEASE HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravveth

17 and mother of two
So, I was cleaning out Geralt and Poppy's cage today when I noticed that Geralt has a lot of porphyrin coming out of one eye. At first I assumed they got in a fight and that it was a scratch, so I cleaned it off...but there's no scratch mark. He's a white rat with red eyes so her often has small amounts of red liquid in the corners of his eyes, but he's never had this much. I cleaned it off and let him be for a while, but when I came back there was even more porphyirin. I've been keeping an eye on him and he doesn't seem to have a fever and he is still acting the same as usual. The affected eye is watery but is not puffy...yet,

Three questions:

What could this be?

What can I do? Should I take him to the vet? (I don't have the money for just a check-up. Unless it is life threatening I can't really pay for vet bills) Is there anything that humans use that can help? (eyes drops or something?)

Can my other rat catch it?

I am literally panicking this is my first run in with something like this since I got my rats...if there's anything I can do without taking him to the vet....(unless it could be life threatening)

Last edited:
Actually, it stopped after a while. I washed it off a few times and this morning I went to check on him and he's fine xD I guess I just panicked. Thank you for you help though!

Back