Eye discharge in rex rat, HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravveth

17 and mother of two
My babe Geralt is a white rex with red eyes, and for the last few months there's been red fluid coming out of one of his eyes. The other one is perfectly fine. I originally panicked and assumed it was an eye infection, but he does not have any of the symptoms, there's no pain or swelling. I clean his eye off regularly but there's always more dicharge, and it's gotten to the point where the fur around that eye is gone. Like I said, he doesn't show pain, but I've tried looking into things that might help. I have a few questions:
1. What could this be, and is it normal?
2. What can I do to stop it? My dad suggested I try human eye drops and my mom said maybe rinsing it with chamomile.

Thank you so much!

Sounds like he could have a ulcetration or scratch to the eye. You should take him to an exotics vet for proper drops/ointment and pain meds - its very painful

He's had this for quite the while though, it's been over a few months. He also isn't showing pain of any sort when I touch the eye, or he's just hiding it really well. There's no behaviour change to him either, he's behaving normally and not like there's something wrong with him. Is there anything I can do without taking him to the vet? I'd rather look into alternatives first (of course I will take him to the vet if you think it could become a major problem, it's just gone months without change)

Last edited:
Could we get pictures of the eye maybe that will help us figure out if it's the actual eye or something else..respiratory infections can also cause eyes to have discharge.. There are a multitude of things that can cause it an honestly your best bet is to have an experienced vet look at it because there is clearly something going on and the longer it's untreated the worse it can get and rats are very good at hiding ailments until it's to late..

How old is he? Some rats get a leaky eye with porphyrin and there can be many reasons due mainly to stress...but stress from what? illness, boredom, changes. I've had rats have one leaky eye most of their lives and nothing ever came of it. I do try polysoprin eye drops for two weeks and sometimes it gets better, sometimes it doesn't do anything. Once I had a male rat living with a buddy have a leaky eye and when I moved him into my colony of 10, his leaky eye disappeared.

He's had this for quite the while though, it's been over a few months. He also isn't showing pain of any sort when I touch the eye, or he's just hiding it really well. There's no behaviour change to him either, he's behaving normally and not like there's something wrong with him. Is there anything I can do without taking him to the vet? I'd rather look into alternatives first (of course I will take him to the vet if you think it could become a major problem, it's just gone months without change)

Rats hide pain and illness VERY well. I have been treating an eye ulceration for over two months now. Like you've been told, it can be a number of things.

Back