Extra Protein For Young Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Spaz1987

I've been feeding my 2 boys Oxbow adult. I've realized that they need more protein than what that food alone has in it. I was thinking about scrambled eggs to give them the extra bit that they need. How much and how often should I give them the eggs?

They should be fine on a healthy diet - the block plus a variety of healthy vegs (such as baby kale, broccoli, cooked sweet potato, organic carrot pieces, cooked squash, mixed greens, etc) and occasional healthy treats such as cooked whole grains, organic pumpkin seeds, berries, fruit, a few cooked chick peas, a few cooked beans, a piece of cucumber, etc.

Or if you are concerned, freeze the Oxbow adult blocks for later and feed Oxbow for young rats plus a variety of daily vegs and healthy treats Edit: I have never fed this but some people do

Some people feed their rats eggs ..... but eggs are very unhealthy.

Last edited:
How old are your boys? If they are tiny babies you can add protein sources into their diet (not too much) but if they are 8-12 weeks old they should be fine on Oxbow Adult. I'm not a fan of their young rat food myself.

They will turn 12 weeks old on Friday. I was concerned because the bags says for 6 months and older. I've read that lots of rats don't the young rat food anyway.

In fact, a large study, called the China study has found that rats when weaned require very low protein. I've never give any weaned rats more than 16% protein.

Back