Expired Medication Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

A while back I had a rattie with an outer ear infection. You know the smelly yucky ear. In any event the vet gave me a large bottle of Tresaderm which is a drop to put in the rats ear 2 times a day. It contains neomycin and a steriod and anti inflamitory. In any event fast forward to now. I took in a rescue boy yesterday who has that same rotten smell in his one ear and I can see a little bit of excess was build up. So I pulled out these drops to use them but the bottle says expires 12/08. Do you think it is going to hurt anything to use them? Do they really go bad. They have been kept inside a brown RX bottle tightly sealed in my fridge the entire time.

Otherwise I also have some Otomax that I have for the dogs that is for ear infections. It contains Gentamicin and is more of an oily texture to it whereas the Tresaderm is liquid. The Otomax is brand new so I know it is good. I have no clue how long this rat has had to live with the stink ear so I want to get treating him right away. What would you use?

Staci

I think using the otomax should be fine. I know it's been used for other rats in this forum with the blessing of their vets.

hope nobody minds my question...
is it safe to put drops into rats ears?
i have an ear wash for rodents, and i dont feel comfortable putting a drop into Sids ears (they fill with wax way too fast), and i have been putting the solution onto cottonbuds (eerrr... translation is Q-tips i think?) and wiping just the visible bit of his ear. Should i be putting it inside too if there is a wax buildup and he can't clean it :?

My Eli (RiP) had a chronic ear infection towards the end of his life and needed his ears cleaned every few days. As long as your carefeul and mindfu,l I wouldn't say to not do it. Also make sure you're doing it for good reason.

yea i have always been told never to put anything in any animals ears. But the wax builds up so bad im surprised he doesnt go deaf! i use more cottonbuds on Sids ears in one go than i do on my own! its not a daily thing either, more like a once fortnightly thing. I think i will stick to just cleaning the visible area with the solution on a cottonbud rather than drops into the ear canal

I have never been told NOT to put anything in animals ears. In fact my vet has RXed ear stuff for my dogs in the past and vets have also RXed ear stuff for my rats as well that have the outer ear infections. I have never had any issues. I don't think dumping bucket loads of fluid down their ears is good but a drop of ABs or antifungals to attack the infection makes sense to me. Especially since most of the ear problems in animals are caused my yeast infections.

I have read that you shouldn't but our dog has floppy ears and magically gets ear infections if she touches water, my cats have constant wax build-up possibly caused by allergies (I have to see if the raw clears it up) and as I just said Eli who needed his ears cleaned. And I use Q-tips for all of the above, NEVER cleaning anything but the outer ear.

Back