Euthanasia questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratturtles

I have a terminally ill rat who I believe is nearing the end of her life. I have a couple of questions relating to her euthanasia.

1. Should I bring her to our normal vet clinic assuming they're open at the time, or should I bring her somewhere else? The clinic we go to is familiar to her, but she's been poked, sedated, examined, etc at this clinic multiple times and as a result I dont its one of her favorite places.

2. She only has one cage mate and they've been together all their lives, should I bring her cagemate with? Would that be confusing or scary for her cagemate?

3. I was reading the rat report on euthanasia and it says this

"Consider asking the veterinarian to anesthetize your rat with the gas, inject the euthanasia solution in the abdomen while the rat is anesthetized, and then let the rat wake from the gas so the last thing your rat experiences is your cuddling him."

Is this doable for most vet clinics? Would she even have time to wake up before the euthanasia solution took over? Is this the prefered method? I would like to be there in her final minutes but I also want to make the experience as painless and stress free as possible for her.

1. Make arrangements to have it done with a vet you trust who will do it properly - most will not know how, and many will not allow you to be present. All of this needs to be discussed beforehand, so that when it comes time it will be easier to make sure things are done right.

2. I often bring cagemates along so my rattie is not alone on the vet trip. But you will need to decide what is best for your rats - if you are able to cuddle her during the trip and in the waiting room, then it might be better to leave her friend at home.
Regardless, you will want to make sure her friend has the opportunity to sniff her body and say goodbye - it is important for this to happen so that they do not always wonder where their friend disappeared to. This is one reason why people take their rats body home with them. (btw imo bodies should not be buried because of the poison used - many of us have our babies cremated)

3. The rattie is given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery - they will not like the smell of the gas. A few good breaths and the rattie will start to get sleepy. If your rattie is having problems breathing, the oxygen may help them to breath easier. Once the rat is deeply asleep, the vet needs to gently pinch the toes to check for a reflex and also check for an eye reflex to make sure the rattie is unconscious to at least a surgical plane.
Once the rattie is deeply unconscious to at least a surgical level, then the vet will inject them.
(I too have read that some people will wake the rattie, but I don't. I want to make sure that my rattie does not feel anything.)
I keep my rats unconscious, breathing in the gas/oxygen mix until they are dead.
I am fortunate because I am able to hold and cuddle my rattie through out the entire process - to pet them, talk to them, and let them know that they are not alone. Not all vets allow this.

Never allow a conscious rat to be given a heart injection - this is so painful and extremely cruel that it is illegal in some places.

I am very sorry that the 3 of you are going through this
I hope this information helps

Last edited:
First of all- I am so sorry for you and your rat.

Whenever I have a rat pass away, I always present the body to the rest of the cagemates so that they can see their buddy is gone and won't search for them. It's an extremely difficult situation as I've seen a few rats lick their brother goodbye and then come over to me and try to climb up my shirt for comfort. Some vets may not allow another rat to come with during the procedure.

When I decided to euthanize Gideon, he was so far gone that he didn't recognize his brothers and only wanted my comfort. I took Gideon to the vet, in a washcloth, hugging him the way there. It's still up to you if you want to bring the cagemate with or not. For me, in my grief, I generally don't handle stress very well and I would get too stressed about euthanizing Gideon, filling out forms and paying the bill, and managing another confused, possibly frightened rat. It's still up to you, but that is my thought on bringing another rat.

As SQ said, I'd be afraid of the rat waking up and feeling pain. When I euthanized Gideon, I kissed his head and said my goodbyes while he was conscious. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the vet and she brought him to the back to be euthanized without me. I had the option to go back. I wish I had. Some vets may not give you this option. At least around me, vets are very understanding that it's an extremely difficult process for everyone involved and often do their best to make the entire thing easier. I suggest paying the bill before you leave, this made the process easier for me when I have to euthanize my fur babies.

1. Make arrangements to have it done with a vet you trust who will do it properly - most will not know how, and many will not allow you to be present. All of this needs to be discussed beforehand, so that when it comes time it will be easier to make sure things are done right.

2. I often bring cagemates along so my rattie is not alone on the vet trip. But you will need to decide what is best for your rats - if you are able to cuddle her during the trip and wait, then it might be better to leave her friend at home.
Regardless, you will want to make sure her friend has the opportunity to sniff her body and say goodbye - it is important for this to happen so that they do not always wonder where their friend disappeared to.

3. The rattie is given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery - they will not like the smell of the gas. A few good breaths and the rattie will start to get sleepy. If your rattie is having problems breathing, the oxygen may help them to breath easier. Once the rat is deeply asleep, the vet needs to gently pinch the toes to check for a reflex and also check for an eye reflex to make sure the rattie is unconscious to at least a surgical plane.
Once the rattie is deeply unconscious to at least a surgical level, then the vet will inject them.
(I too have read that some people will wake the rattie, but I don't. I want to make sure that my rattie does not feel anything.)
I keep my rats unconscious, breathing in the gas/oxygen mix until they are dead.
I am fortunate because I am able to hold and cuddle my rattie through out the entire process - to pet them, talk to them, and let them know that they are not alone. Not all vets allow this.

Never allow a conscious rat to be given a heart injection - this is so painful and extremely cruel that it is illegal in some places.

I am very sorry that the 3 of you are going through this
I hope this information helps

This was very helpful. My only question is how do they give them the gas/oxygen mix? I'm assuming most vets use a small gas chamber, if so how are you able to be there for that part of the process?
Also I have to ask because I know you frequent this forum/website a lot, does losing a rattie ever get easier? Do you ever get used to the loss?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all- I am so sorry for you and your rat.

Whenever I have a rat pass away, I always present the body to the rest of the cagemates so that they can see their buddy is gone and won't search for them. It's an extremely difficult situation as I've seen a few rats lick their brother goodbye and then come over to me and try to climb up my shirt for comfort. Some vets may not allow another rat to come with during the procedure.

When I decided to euthanize Gideon, he was so far gone that he didn't recognize his brothers and only wanted my comfort. I took Gideon to the vet, in a washcloth, hugging him the way there. It's still up to you if you want to bring the cagemate with or not. For me, in my grief, I generally don't handle stress very well and I would get too stressed about euthanizing Gideon, filling out forms and paying the bill, and managing another confused, possibly frightened rat. It's still up to you, but that is my thought on bringing another rat.

As SQ said, I'd be afraid of the rat waking up and feeling pain. When I euthanized Gideon, I kissed his head and said my goodbyes while he was conscious. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the vet and she brought him to the back to be euthanized without me. I had the option to go back. I wish I had. Some vets may not give you this option. At least around me, vets are very understanding that it's an extremely difficult process for everyone involved and often do their best to make the entire thing easier. I suggest paying the bill before you leave, this made the process easier for me when I have to euthanize my fur babies.

I'm sorry about Gideon, that sounds rough :(
I had another rat euthanized a few months ago and I did not get to go back either, it sucked. I'm definitely going to try and make sure that things are different this time. Thanks for your input.

This was very helpful. My only question is how do they give them the gas/oxygen mix? I'm assuming most vets use a small gas chamber, if so how are you able to be there for that part of the process?

Some vets will allow you to be present. Some vets will not.
Many vets are concerned about not breathing in the gas and not allowing you to breath it in.
When I hold my rattie during the process I am breathing in the gas too, which is fine with me.

Some vets use a small chamber - in which case no, you would not be able to hold your rattie so say your goodbyes before gently placing them inside on a small soft blanket you bring with you for them to lie on - or before the vet puts them inside a cloth bag in the chamber as I have heard that some vets will do. When they are in the chamber you can talk to them and I assume that they can hear your voice and know that you are there - my understanding is that chambers are usually small, clear, rectangular, plastic rectangles so you can see into them.

Vets I use, will use a tiny funnel type mask that the nose goes into or just have it near their face - this would be how a rat is given the gas/oxygen mix for surgery - in this case I like to hold my rattie in my arms, usually lying against my chest (so they can hear and feel my heart beat) and I hold the mask near their face or over their nose. But unless they are extremely ill, they will try to move their face away because they do not like the smell of the gas.

I know of some vets that will have the ratties on the table (you can bring a soft snuggly blanket with you for your rattie to lie on) and the vet administers the gas/oxygen mix - but allows you to be present and I assume you can pet your rattie and talk to her.

You can ask the vet to use eye gel - like they do during surgery, after your rattie is unconscious because their eyes will stay open.

Personally I always want to be with my rattie - for his or her sake and also to make sure everything is done properly. It is very hard, but you are there for your rattie ……. I keep it together until afterward because I want them to feel safe, loved, and not afraid

So ask lots of questions and tell the vet how you want it done and come to some sort of agreement before hand because you do not want to try to negotiate these things for the first time when you are there to put your baby to sleep. Most vets will try to be accommodating but some will not which is why it is so important to have this type of discuss before hand. You are an advocate for your rattie so you need to make sure things are done ok for her.

It is hard and far from prefect but as long as it is ok for your rattie then it is ok. Because your rattie is being put to sleep so she will not suffer ….. because you love them and are doing your best for them

{{hugs}}

Last edited:
Some vets use a small chamber - in which case no, you would not be able to hold your rattie so say your goodbyes before gently placing them inside on a small soft blanket you bring with you for them to lie on - unless the vet puts them inside a cloth bag in the chamber as I have heard that some vets do. When they are in the chamber you can talk to them so they hear your voice and know that you are there - my understanding is that chambers are usually clear rectangular plastic rectangles so you can see into them.

Vets I use, will use a tiny funnel type mask that the nose goes into or just have it near their face - this would be how a rat is given the gas for surgery - in this case I hold my rattie in my arms, usually lying against my chest (so they can hear my heart) and I hold the mask near their face or over their nose. But unless they are extremely ill, they will try to move their face away because they do not like the smell of the gas.

I know of some vets that will have the ratties on the table (you can bring a soft snuggly blanket with you for your rattie to lie on) and the vet administers the gas - but allows you to be present so you can pet your rattie and talk to her.

You can ask the vet to use eye gel - like they do during surgery, after your rattie is unconscious because their eyes will stay open.

Personally I always want to be with my rattie - for his or her sake and also to make sure everything is done properly. It is very hard, but you are there for your rattie ……. I keep it together until afterward because I want them to feel safe, loved, and not afraid

So ask lots of questions and tell the vet hw you want it done and come to some sort of agreement before hand because you do not want to try to negotiate these things for the first time when you are there to put your baby to sleep

{{hugs}}

Thank you! Ill be sure to call them tomorrow so we can put a plan in place.

Back