Eureka! Wooden ledges can be cleaned....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I had a few little Leap N Ledges, wooden perches about 3-4" wide that can be attached to the side of the cage, and my rats all love them. But they absolutely stank of urine after a while. I was ready to throw one of them out in despair.

then I got an idea.... :idea: I sprayed one profusely with vinegar solution, then let it dry. the smell is gone!

Honest, not to rain on your parade - that's great!
But what does that mean for cleaning up in a mite problem? You'd still have to put them in the freezer, right?

That's good to know! I've got a few would products and when they start to stink I'll do the same.
When I suspect a mite/lice problem, I don't have room in my freezer so I just put them in a bag and store it away for 3 months.

I can stash stuff outside on the back porch in the winter. Now I must confess that more recently :lol: I stashed a plastic bag full of wooden stuff in the freezer at SQ's old apartment. My own freezer is pretty full and, if there were room, it would be full of bags of rat food. Actually there are quite a few bags of rat food in there already.

I'll let you all know whether the effect of the vinegar lasts more than a day after I put the wooden ledge back in the little girls' cage.

Back