Eragon has scabs...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syadaka

Hey guys, long time no post, I know, I've had a wrecked computer (N)
Recentely I've noticed my poor Eragon has scabs all on his back! I know he doesn't have mites or lice because Iggliepiggle is 100% OK and I've checked all through his fur. He does have long nails, but I can't trim them because he wont stay still long enough for me too! I am worried this may be from the two fighting when I'm not home? I don't know, but i'm concerned and I can't really bring him to the vet right now because I have no idea about rat vets in north bay.

Has anyone else noticed this on their rat before? If so plllease do not hesitate to reply. :gaah:

It really depends on what the scabs look like. Are they long scratches or little dots?

A rat can have mites without other rats in the colony showing symptoms, often they are only a concern for a rat with a weaker immune system and others can fight the buggies off.

There is a rat friendly vet in North Bay... you could pm raindrop a member here and ask her for the info.

Found a listing...

Dr. Don O'Connor
1875B Seymour St.
North Bay, Ontario
475-8387

I had this same issue where the scabs only appeared on 1 boy out of 5. So I took him to the vet thinking it was something else but after a treatment of revo the scabs started healing immediatly. My advice would be to see a vet, get revo then if there is no improvement go from there once mites/lice are ruled out.

jorats said:
There is a rat friendly vet in North Bay... you could pm raindrop a member here and ask her for the info.

Found a listing...

Dr. Don O'Connor
1875B Seymour St.
North Bay, Ontario
475-8387

thanks! that's basically around the corner from my house too :).

If you haven't seen any signs of fighting most likely it's mites. And if the others don't show signs you're just catching it early.
Best thing is to give a course of mite treatment to everyone. And if the skin problem persists then you need to see the vet.

If you treat with revolution for mites, etc make sure you treat all the rats.
Only one may be showing symptoms but they would all have them.

Back