Energy Dense food for the oldies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

So my little S is just over 3...and dispite her respiratory issues shes been truckin along like she always has....

But shes declining....her coat condition is failing and her weight has been decreasing...

Im going to start seperating her for feedings...because i think the young'uns push her away/take her food and she cant really compete that well anymore..but i want to keep her in with them because shes constantly at the bottom of a 8 rat pile-up and i think shes happy with her family

Anyway I've been offering her baby cereal a few times a day on top of the Harlan - but I can i give her something a little more energy dense? something with more fat maybe? I know that feeding rats these foods long term is detrimental but I dont think we really need to worry about long term here unfortunately :sad3:

Shes just trucking along so well i want to help her body keep going as long as her heart intends too (within obvious reason...)

Suggestions? :(

So what you want is high calorie but definitely not from protein...so you'll want it from fat, the good fat. Baby cereal is good, but add olive oil to it, that should definitely help her.

My three Corrie girls are 2 1/2 now. Their back legs are very weak and they have lost a lot of weight. They don't seem able to eat solid lab blocks, although I don't know why (they can chew cardboard and wood and their hammocks!).

I've been mushing their lab blocks with water (they don't seem able to drink from water bottles any more) and then adding some olive oil and Ensure for extra taste & calories. They still adore peas and chick peas and rice, they enjoy baby food and baby cereal, and at least one of them drinks water from a dish.

It is a real challenge to make sure they get enough to eat. I feed them from my fingers several times a day.

Your sweetie sounds in better shape even though she is older, so she may be with you for a while yet! Good luck.

Before she passed I started giving MamaLatte small pieces of Greens+ Natural Energy bars. She loved them and other than baby food and some veggies it was all she would eat.

awesome thanks guys! I will give some of those a try when i go shopping next....

we spent all night in the emerg (Brian plus grinder = stitches...) so its off to bed with us

lol yea he's ok....
it was only about 1/2 and inch but down right about to the bone over his knuckle so....he needed some stitches...

boys :)

thanks for the concern guys :hugs:

Wow, I did not expect this thread to move into something like that! MSN fails me with this weak connection but I hope he's healing well! Maybe you can force him into a different job after this...something in a cubicle, the padded kind of walls they have separating them off. :giggle: Poor guy.

Back