Encrusted Eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I just have to say here...

I would also not appreciate Arlene interpreting my rats feelings. That is the kind of person I am, and in any situation I would not like it.

Arlene, I think it would be much better for you to ask before communicating with other forum members animals.

Lise said:
Actually I just have to say here...

I would also not appreciate Arlene interpreting my rats feelings. That is the kind of person I am, and in any situation I would not like it.

Arlene, I think it would be much better for you to ask before communicating with other forum members animals.

If Lori didn't like what Arlene had to say, that's totally fine. She at no point was being forced to believe what Arlene was saying. She could have simply said as much, or that she disagreed with what Arlene had posted. She has her opinion, and she's welcome to it. Not appreciating or wanting something is one thing, but attacking someone for posting their opinion and/or interpretation of the situation is not okay.

I understand that this is a volatile subject, the possible suffering of a rat. I think there's just some misunderstandings here. Arlene is one of the most respectful people that I know, and she doesn't do this normally at all. Emily must've reached out to her that strongly and Arlene felt obligated to post her feelings. This is not her normal way at all for anyone concerned.

I can attest that any time any of my rats have contacted Arlene she has asked me first if I wanted to know what they had to say. However, I agree with Shelagh. Arlene obviously felt very strongly and Emily must have been very insistant on communicating her feelings to make Arlene post so quickly.

You can believe it or not believe it. I understand everyone has different views. But I have had Arlene be right too many times to not believe.

Staci

It's true that many of us were affected by Arlene's reading with Emily. And I bet Lori was as well.
But we need to step back a bit and give Lori the benefit of the doubt and trust her when she says she will bring Emily to our vet tomorrow.
From that fuzzy pic, I'm not sure if we are qualified to recommend that little Emily should be put to sleep.

She should have pain medication, that's true, so anyone got the doses for Ibuprofen for rats?

10 mg to 30 mg/kg q4h; PO

but if she's having issues with bleeding this could be not a great thing for her.

I would need the concentration of the Motrin or Children's Advil before I could suggest a dose.

Maybe Infant Tylenol instead?

According to Debbie D:

dose for ibuprofen according to Debbie D. 15 - 60 mg/Ib 2-4 times a day. Lower doses are for analgesia, higher for inflammation.

Interferes with clotting but only while it is in the system. Causes fluid retention and decreased blood flow to kidneys so is more risky to use in the elderly, with hreat or kidney disease, or with diuretics.

jorats said:
According to Debbie D:

dose for ibuprofen according to Debbie D. 15 - 60 mg/Ib 2-4 times a day. Lower doses are for analgesia, higher for inflammation.

Interferes with clotting but only while it is in the system. Causes fluid retention and decreased blood flow to kidneys so is more risky to use in the elderly, with hreat or kidney disease, or with diuretics.

Mmkay 15-60 mg/lb = (damn I hate math!) converted to metric

33-132 mg/kg...woah thats a big difference.

aha!!! that was the 2nd recommended dosage on ratguide
15 mg to 60 mg/lb q4h; PO (low dose for analgesia, high dose for anti-inflammatory effect

So confusing when there's such a large range. :(

OMGosh that picture made me cringe.

I know that in my area the local ER vets won't even look at a rat. So I usually just have to wait for my vet to open. So I in a way understand her wait to take the poor thing and at least she is trying something, reaching out for help, trying ointments stuff like that. Some of us are just limited in what is available. And we all know that severe stuff can literally appear over night.

Maybe, just maybe the eye can be removed and she can live the rest of her life comfortably.

I so feel for you and your little baby.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Melissa's Zoo, you are exactly right. In my city, same as Notamuised, we have one exotic vet and if she's not the one on call then we can't do anything.

Yeah, that's why for the most part I keep Debbie Ducommon Health Care book around for a quick fix just in case. And most of the meds she recommends can be found in the fish section of most pet stores. I have tetracycline, amoxicillian and a few others she recommends. They also work for dogs so it is always needed in my house.

I can tell you the rat Heimlich was a life saver for Clover one day, she had a chunk of food stuck in her throat and was pale. Did the Heimlich twice, gave her a break and did it again and it dislodged.

First of all, I want to thank Shelagh for suggesting the Polysporin eye ointment. It really helped in the interim and made quite an improvement on the eye. I held poor Emily in my arms all day so that I could ensure she was well hydrated and that her eye was treated.

Jorats, thank you for your support. To all on the forum, Joanne & Shelagh both have met me and I trust their advice & support.

As far as the Reiki reading goes I was hurt and offended by the message. Perhaps in the future these types of messages can be relayed via PM and only if solicited :) No harm intended.

As Jorats said, our one exotic vet is not available if she doesn't happen to be the one on call. I did the best I could and got my dear sweet Emily veterinary care as soon as I could.

Now the diagnosis.....the vet suggested that there was something going on inside behind her nasal passages that may have popped the eye out. Despite how the pictures "looked" there were no pieces missing, or signs of other trauma. This morning Emily was having respiratory issues. The vet was willing to try antibiotics, get her comfortable, stabilized and any infections under control and then deal with the eye surgically later. However, we together decided that based on her background, likelihood of underlying health issues and her current state of distress it was likely that she wouldn't recover well or ever be able to withstand the surgery.

Emily was PTS and will be brought home for burial later today.

Back