Elizabeth has a huge scab on her back

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

The other day we noticed that Elizabeth has a massive scab on her back. They are not itching so it can't be from mites or some other kind of bug. Janeway has been picking on her a lot lately, for some reason she still haven't a hard time accepting her. Could the scab be a wound that Janeway keeps picking at? It looks really draw and raw so we put some polysporin on it.

Any advice what this could be and anything else we can do?

Her furr looks funny 'cause we gave them all a bath yesterday after we cleaned the cage. they smell so much better lol
elizabethscab16th.jpg

elizabethscab.jpg

elizabethscabb.jpg

ok, probably very stupid question, but those pictures were taken right after the bath right? they don't still look like that now a day later right? see, i know its a stupid question, but if the fur does look like that a day later then it would be a clear sign of soap still being in the fur which could cause irratation and itching and then scabbage.

BUT, if i understand right, the scab appeared before the bath and so cannot be a reaction to the soap or anything anyway. you don't bathe them often right? and you haven't changed laundry detergents? no new food recently? if no to all then i think it would be more likely to be an infection of some kind. which hopefully a simple antibiotic would clear up. maybe ask the vet about something that targets skin conditions. the convenia i'm so happy with was actually designed for skin issues (though not initially intended for rats) so that might be a good option.

but its got to be one of two things right, either environmental or infection. it seems too large and inflamed to just be a battle wound, though a battle wound may have been the start of it... perhaps barbering and the new hair growth is making her itchy and causing her to tear herself up some with her sharp nails... though you said she wasn't itchy so that doesn't really fit then...

start her on an antibiotic and see if you can figure out any environmental cause. if you can't figure out an environment issue and she if she doesn't respond to the antibiotic in a day or two you should probably make a vet appointment to get her checked out.

but those pictures were taken right after the bath right?

Yes it was right after the bath

you don't bathe them often right?

No this is their first bath in like well over 4 months or more. We only bath them when we find they're a little smelly and we may have left the cage to long to many times. Which is totally our fault. We use baby shampoo so should be fine for their skin.

and you haven't changed laundry detergents? no new food recently?

Nope nothing has changed. Well Elizabeth is from the SPCA so she's getting a better diet now she's with us then with them. So I suppose for her it would be a change in food.

I have some baytril left so I'll start her on that and get a vet appointment made as soon as I can. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Poor girl.

when im home.. i notice that janeway and emily and mya ( mostly janeway) pick at her.. i also noticed thai and zenna grooming (possibly a little longer than they needed to) her wound.... it looks better since the bath... but its not healing as fast as id like.. prolly due to the others picking at it.. i dunno.. hope the bullies stop picking on her soon.. shes been thru so much...

Back