Eli and Boots RIP sweet baby boys :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly

We thought all the treatment was starting to help with Eli and Boots and then they took a turn for the worse. Their breathing was so bad, I thought they were going to stop. I rushed them to the vet and he thought the best option was to put them to sleep :cry: They were all hunched up in the cage, having such a hard time breathing, on top of the worst sounding sneezing you could ever hear from such a small baby. I have never had to put a rattie to sleep and to have to put two small sweet babies down was heartbreaking :cry: I hope I did what was best for them, I didnt want them to suffer anymore. Its so unfair that they had to be sick and not get to grow up. My kids are heartbroken and upset.

I feel terrible. I dont know if I did what was right for them, All I know is they had gotten worse and they werent happy. We had done a reweigh at the vet before they were put down, and they had lost weight, even though I was feeding them xtra, They were eating good and drinking good, but loose stools had started and the sneezing sound had gotten so much worse and so much more often :(

Im so sorry Eli and Boots I hope I did what was right

brotherlylove.jpg

My two very sweet 9 week old babies forever in my heart

I'm so sorry.
You did everything you could for them and don't forget that. Even though they had such little time on this world, I'm sure they are forever grateful for your kindness and generosity.

:rose3:

Oh, I'm so sorry for you to lose ones so young :cry: :roseopen: it seems sometimes that we try so hard fighting for them but it's never enough but I'm sure your boys are in a better place on Rainbow Bridge running, playing and free of pain :cuddle: :angel2:

That is horrible. I am so sorry.

I know how you feel, I had a very sweet baby for not even 24 hours the first time when I was rushing her to the Petsmart vet and then a week later they let me adopt her knowing that she was not better, I had her for not even another 24 hours and I was rushing her back to the vet she passed away on the way to the vet. I was devastated. I took her to the Store manager and told them how I felt and that she obviously had a very bad heart condition and that I was angry that they let me adopt her when their vet should have known her condition was not any better.

I am so sorry. You did everything you could, in the end I am sure they loved you for having the compassion to do what was right for them. :tearful: :roseopen:

Kimberly said:
We thought all the treatment was starting to help with Eli and Boots and then they took a turn for the worse. Their breathing was so bad, I thought they were going to stop. I rushed them to the vet and he thought the best option was to put them to sleep :cry: They were all hunched up in the cage, having such a hard time breathing, on top of the worst sounding sneezing you could ever hear from such a small baby. I have never had to put a rattie to sleep and to have to put two small sweet babies down was heartbreaking :cry: I hope I did what was best for them, I didnt want them to suffer anymore. Its so unfair that they had to be sick and not get to grow up. My kids are heartbroken and upset.

I feel terrible. I dont know if I did what was right for them, All I know is they had gotten worse and they werent happy. We had done a reweigh at the vet before they were put down, and they had lost weight, even though I was feeding them xtra, They were eating good and drinking good, but loose stools had started and the sneezing sound had gotten so much worse and so much more often :(

Im so sorry Eli and Boots I hope I did what was right

brotherlylove.jpg

My two very sweet 9 week old babies forever in my heart

I'm so sorry Kimberly. It is so painful to lose them at such a tender age. :tearful:

You did everything in your power Kimberly. That is all any of us can do. We have to make decisions, for our little loved ones, and it is natural for humans to want to prevent prolonged suffering. :heart:

If it helps provide any comfort, please know that I would have done exactly what you did. In June of this year, I had to have my little Jerry euthanized. He was only 6 months old.

It hurt me most to see him suffering and despite all I was feeding him, he still lost a ton of weight. Nature can seem brutal when it reclaims its children but I believe that our babies must be desperately needed elsewhere when they are taken away from us.

Your little men had the fortune of being highly intelligent rats Kimberly. They are at no loss to know that they had the very best of care and affection from you and they will always love you. Your place, on their cloud, will be kept very warm in anticipation of the day when they can cuddle with you again. :love6:

You are not alone Kimberly. Share any grief you may wish to share. Everyone here has been down the path you now travel. Some take comfort in sharing and some take comfort in withdrawing. No matter what your preference is... take comfort in knowing that you have the support and understanding of everyone here.

Your boys were beautiful. Wherever they now play... they know who loved them. They watch over you and will always be close to where you are. Just listen to your heart. You will hear them. :rose:

:grouphug: Thank you so much everyone. Its been strange not having Eli and Boots here with us. Even in the very short time we had them with us, we grew so very attached to them. My husband even had little nicknames for them. It was strange to go to the cage this morning to say our hellos and not being able to say hello to them :( I hope they have made it up to Rainbow Bridge and are now freely playing without being sick. I love my little "blues brothers" so much and feel so hurt by their passing. It just wasnt fair. I feel so cruel that I put them down, but I try to keep thinking it was what was best. They werent the happy little babies that they should of been because they were sick.

I wanted to share some of the many pictures I had of them while we had the great chance to get to know and love them

100_1866.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1735.jpg

100_1715.jpg

That's just awful sweetie. I am SO sorry. Please know that you did the right thing. Watching a rat die from not being able to breathe is something nobody should have to experience.

They were stunning boys! You took great care of them and as short as their lives were I'm sure they were happy. Those sorts of decisions are always hard but it sounds like you did what you had to do.

:rose2:

Back